Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Nano Observatory

Euan

Hi folks,

This project has been on the go for about a month and a half, but I managed to get it finished last night

Background:

I have a HEQ5 Pro that holds a Orion ST80 and either a 8" Skywatcher Newt or a Equinox 80. I use it for imaging only, controlled by connecting to a PC over remote desktop

I previously had a "Wheelie Bin" obs out in my back garden (see the same design only done better by Bill Leslie HERE). The downside of this was that I couldn't see anything below about 40 degrees due south because of my house. The answer was to build something out the front. I don't have much space so it would have to be as small as possible, the smaller the better. I also want something that can be at least semi-automated, so I can set it running and go to bed

I cut down my pier to it's smallest practical size, and by parking the scope on it's side, I managed to get the space it needs to operate down to 5" x 5" square by 4" high

Design & Construction

The main problem in doing this is that I don't have the space for a traditional roll off roof, but I need the same functionallity. I opted to go for a self-supporting roof design, something I hadn't seen done before but it seemed like a good idea

I made some plans in 3D using Sketchup, then started building it using wood and cladding from B&Q. I used heavy duty rollers that are usually used for steel gates, they were quite expensive but do the job really well

Final Thoughts

The great thing about this design is that when its closed it only takes up a really small space, it's so short that you can't see it over my fence which is good for security

The hardest thing was making the legs stable as it rolled in and out. Because the whole thing is on a slope, the back leg is offset to clear my front step, and the roof is quite heavy, I had to reinforce the two legs by joining them together. I hadn't imagined this would be an issue when I designed it

How much did I spend? Probably about £300 all in, with another £120 for a garage door opener which I haven't got working yet, this is another challenge in itself :)

post-16116-133877386309_thumb.jpg

post-16116-133877386315_thumb.jpg

post-16116-133877386321_thumb.jpg

post-16116-133877386327_thumb.jpg

Are you one of those hobbits from Lord of the Rings :)

On a serious note it's very ingenious and clever idea. As you say doesn't take up much room but really it's more like a storage area then an observatory.

A well thought out and executed bit of DIY there Euan, there's nothing like rolling back and observing. Really a must for our fickle climate when there's no chance in hell of planning any further than a few minutes.

Hope you have good locks and security tho with it being easily overlooked.

• 5 weeks later...
A very neat solution. Well done.

I am surprised that there aren't more examples of this design concept.

Below is my "scaled up" version.

nb: I also used SketchUp; what a great program.

Steve

WOW... Thanks for posting this.. :)

Thats made my day... was wondering how to roll my roof off when the shed arrives.. :)

Guy...

Archived