NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from East Sussex

justin8571

Hello everyone,

I'm another newbie to Stargazers Lounge although I've asked many questions (and answered the odd few easy ones) on the Meade 4M forum and am aware just how useful forums are. I've always had an interest in Astronomy (well I liked looking at astro images) and bought my first scope in 2007.

I'm slowly getting to grips with astro imaging although personally I haven't found it easy. I started a website in May and within it I've tried to offer a bit of help by adding a few step-by-step tutorials that might come in handy for a few people and explanantions of focal lengths etc and why they're important. I'm adding to it as and when I can so there will be more to come.

My site, Sussex Astro Imaging, is really aimed at the absolute beginner as I'm only just getting beyond that stage myself. I've added basic tutorials for processing with Registax v4 and Nebulosity2 with screen shots on exactly how I go about processing. I've also added a guided imaging section with a tutorial on PHD Guiding, and how to link an LX200R to a PC and use it in conjunction with PHD Guiding.

Anyway, if you get really bored or think the site might be of help then please take a look. If nothing else the "Did you know" section I think is interesting and again I'll be adding more soon.

http://astro-*****.com/index.htm

Thanks everyone, take care and clear skies!

Justin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again,

I can't believe my site name's been censored! I laughed my head off when I saw the xxxx. Looking back I guess it's not the best name for an astro imaging site although it was only a light hearted bit of fun as it kind of had a ring to it. I fancied having a silly web address and I've actually got my wife to blame who chuckled as she said it, and hey presto, it stuck. Anyway, I do hope it doesn't offend anyone as that wasn't the idea.

Well, if you'd like to take a look at my hopefully non-offensive website then please type in Sussex Astro Imaging into Google and I should be at the top.

Have fun everyone and thanks to those who've already welcomed me.

Justin

Sussex Astro Imaging

Hello everyone,

thanks to you all for the warm welcome and for the kind words regarding my website, and also for those of you who've left a message on my guestbook.

Thanks also to Robin from Adur Astronomical Society. I got the message you left in my guestbook about your meeting tonight, however I'm working nights tonight so unfortunately I won't be there. Anyway, thanks for the invite, it's greatly appreciated. Until next time.

As for my website address that I've since found might cause the odd problem, I've now got an additional domain name called;-

www.sussexastroimaging.co.uk

I'm just working out how to link it so that if someone tries accessing my site via that name they'll be redirected to my usual site. Hopefully that'll be up and running within the next 24 hours.

In the early hours of this morning I took 42 one minute images of the Dumbell Nebula using a filter wheel. This is my first attempt at a colour image and it's turned out pretty well. I got stuck with Nebulosity2 when trying to assign colours but got there in the end after advice from Ian King. Anyway, it's posted on my home page for the time being.

Thanks again to you all.

Justin

Hello Justin, welcome from another one in Sussex (just over the boundary in West Sussex though. Just had a glance at your website (the uncensored one!) and see that you're based in Polegate - what a shame that you have the glare of Eastbourne spoiling the southern view (I have the same issue with Brighton).

As to reasonably dark sites in your part of Sussex: well I'm told that the area to your north-west, around Laughton, Ripe, Chalvington, isn't too bad. I did once try setting up a bit further south than that, top of Firle Beacon, but what with Eastbourne to the southeast, Brighton to the southwest, and Newhaven/Seaford directly south, it was a bit disappointing.

Hello again,

thanks again to everyone for welcoming me to Stargazers Lounge.

Seiko, thanks for the message but I'm from Sussex, not Suffolk. Anyway, I'm sure if you post a thread on wanting to find dark sites in Suffolk then you'll no doubt get pleny of replies. I bet the Suffolk skies are far better than here in Sussex.

Hello Pete, it's always nice to hear from other Sussex based astronomers, and yes, Eastbourne is a big orange glowing pain in the backside, but until I win the lottery I guess I'm stuck here. I used to take the scope to Crowlink car park which is on the South Downs between Eastbourne and Seaford. It never got truely dark but it's better than home.

Roll on the long dark nights!

Justin

Sussex Astro Imaging - Home page

Hello again,

thanks again to everyone for welcoming me to Stargazers Lounge.

Seiko, thanks for the message but I'm from Sussex, not Suffolk. Anyway, I'm sure if you post a thread on wanting to find dark sites in Suffolk then you'll no doubt get pleny of replies. I bet the Suffolk skies are far better than here in Sussex.

Hello Pete, it's always nice to hear from other Sussex based astronomers, and yes, Eastbourne is a big orange glowing pain in the backside, but until I win the lottery I guess I'm stuck here. I used to take the scope to Crowlink car park which is on the South Downs between Eastbourne and Seaford. It never got truely dark but it's better than home.

Roll on the long dark nights!

Justin

Sussex Astro Imaging - Home page

DOH!

Archived