Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to the forum and saying hello :)

Hi everyone, im new to the forum and thought i would introduce myself. Im currently in uni reading accountancy (almost finished!) and Im pretty much a big novice when it comes to astronomy but i find the subject really interesting and am keen to learn more. If anyone is working in the field and could let me know what the entry requirements and general pre-requisits were it would be very helpful.

Thanks

:) Hi and welcome to SGL, TravelBug. We may have a few pro's onboard, not too sure. Actually, i think most of us here in SGL are astronomers in the garden, but there are some who have access to fields (sorry:rolleyes:, that was so lame... i'll get my coat :) )

Welcome to SGL I am an Astronomer that lurks in the Garden, as far as equipment it all depends on your budget, are you willing to buy secondhand? and remember the other bits and bobs you need quickly add up.

Low budget go for some form of Newtonian reflector either a Dob or on a Equitorial mount. Couple of good books eg Turn Left at Orion, some Eyepieces etc.

Big budget well the options open up vastely IMO and you can get a big headache with all the choices available.

Pizza Pete

Welcome to the SGL Forum Travelbug.

Mostly we are amateur astronomers on here, although a lot of the Imaging produced can rival that of the professionals at times.

Your aim to get deeper into astronomy doesn't mean you have to rush ouit and buy a scope. That should come later when you can decide what area of it interests you most.

You are probably aware that there are many different types of telescope, and also different price ranges.

I should do a little homework first, and if you need to know the answers to any specific questions, then by all means ask away, we are here to help you in any way we can.

Best Wishes.

Ron.:):)

...any good ideas on equipment for beginners, such as telescopes?

The scope you get depends on where your interests lie. When i was starting out 10 years ago, everything i read pointed towards an SCT as being the best all-around scope (solar system and deep sky), so that's what i bought and have never regretted it for one second.

There's a saying here in the States that "a Dob gives you the best bang for your buck" and if your interest lies in deep sky, that's what i'd recommend. Be sure to get the largest aperture you can afford, and be willing to take time to learn the sky as you go along.. the payoff will be tremendous.

If your interest lies strictly in shallow sky targets (solar system), i'd get a Maksutov with tracking... period. IMO, nothing can compare to the contrast they show, and being high focal ratio instruments, they pull you in pretty close from the git-go (American for 'start':p).

In fact, knowing what i do now, three scopes would last me for the rest of my life.. an 8" Mak for lunar work, a good quality richfield refractor for widefield 'wow, look at that' views, and a 20" Dob for deep sky.

Oh, and a money-tree too... yeah, a money-tree would be nice. :)

Knowing what i do now, three scopes would last me for the rest of my life.. an 8" Mak for lunar work, a good quality richfield refractor for widefield 'wow, look at that' views, and a 20" Dob for deep sky.

Oh, and a money-tree too... yeah, a money-tree would be nice. :)

I like it Carol - A money-tree is definitely an essential bit of kit for an Astronomer. But joking apart, your advice is sound. I just wonder if a 6-8" Dob might be the best (light gathering / ease of set up / low cost) compromise for a beginner + (of course ) a pair of 10x50 binoc's ???

Welcome to SGL, Travelbug. Ask lots of questions about any aspect of astronomy - there are lots of very experienced and helpful people here. This Forum is about the friendliest I have come across.

Welcome also DAVPPK - nice 'scope, that will give you lots of fun over the enxt couple of years.

Tom

Sounds great, thanks for your advice Talitha and Albireo380, and DAVPPK ill definately have a look at that site :)

Does anyone know of anything special i should be looking out for in the coming months?

I can't wait to get started, ill keep you all posted :)

Archived