NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

By Jove - steady seeing!

Starman

This is the first process from this morning's run. What a pleasure to see the planet relatively steady. After getting up and seeing the lovely NLC display on view to the north I almost passed up on imaging Jupiter to pop down to the beach and shoot the clouds. In the end I just about managed both. The GRS is just coming into view in this shot. I did continue the run a bit longer than usual in an attempt to capture it under the calm conditions. Whether these come out remains to be seen...

2009-07-02_02-56-57_RGB2.jpg

Hi Ron,

Not having concentrated on Jupiter much in the past as it has been quite low when I've been actively imaging, I don't really know it's atmosphere that well. I do understand that there are cyclic issues with things like the NEB - it becomes very indistinct and then re-activates. This time round, a dark spot, first observed, IIRC, by Chris Go, has kicked off an NEB disturbance and the belt is now on the wayto re-instating itself.

One of the things I love about concentrating on a planet like this is that you start to learn what's going on pretty quickly.

Archived