NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

To box, or not to box..

..that is the question and no - I don't mean 'big fish little fish cardboard box' - my question is all about EP and barlow boxes.

Obviously, I keep filters in the respective plastic cases, and chuck away the outer cardboard packaging. But I was wondering - do any of you keep your EPs or Barlows in the cardboard box they came in, or do you let them roam free in your scope accessory box? It's starting to annoy me, having to open the little box every time I want to change the magnification (which, as I'm just starting to get to grips with viewing anything other than Planets and our Moon, happens quite often) - is it better to keep them in their boxes, or is merely keeping the two caps firmly on either end of the EP and barlow inbetween viewings substantial protection enough? :)

Amanda - Feeling rather 'boxed in'

I would agree that keeping the box is a good idea if you could be selling it in the future. It looks good if they come in the original box. Suppose it is a godd indicator that they may not have been roaming around in an accessory box.:):D:D:D:D:D:D

As others have said, I'd keep the box for if/when you choose to sell the eyepieces on. I wouldn't take the boxes outside with you observing though as eventually they'll get damaged from exposure to dew. An eyepiece case is the easiest option as suggested by Tony and Craig above,

James

Thank you for all your responses, really helpful :)

Tony, that is an impressive set up and the flight case is a great idea, as others have suggested too. Think i'll get one of those - good prices too. Is it fairly easy to cut into the foam? Hmm. I wonder if FLO stocks flight cases...

B&Q do a nest of three cases for a tenner and you can buy some foam on Ebay. Put a fresh blade in a Stanley knife and slow, steady cutting will do the job nicely :).

BTW, if you think you won't need three I've now got four and could easily do with another couple!

Tony..

Is it fairly easy to cut into the foam?

It's "pluck foam", you can just pull out squares (about 1/2 inch) to any size/shape you need. Alternatively, soak in water, squeeze out excess, place in freezer for 12 hours & use a hand-drill and/or jigsaw to do a really neat job. (Remember to let the foam thaw out & dry thoroughly before using!)

Thanks everyone, great advice. The cases I've found whilst browsing the forum look really smart and very safe and secure - think its the way to go! I'll probably flatten the cardboard boxes and put them in my astronomy drawer (its full of books and odd pieces of paper with calculations on...) to keep safe for the inevitable 'must sell stuff to afford X'

Hurry down to Maplins Amanda, they had a sale on the smaller flight case. I bought one last week. £9.99 as against £19.99. A goodly buy. I must have 8 of these now. they allow you to keep important items orderly and safe.

Ron.:)

Archived