SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13

Erwin Kats

Hello

yesterday night i was giving a try @ M13.

M13 was already pretty high @ the sky, so i told myself, i will image untill the meridian flip.

so i made 1 hour and 4 minuts ( 4 minuts subs )

ISO 1000-unmod eos 40D+ Stellarvue 102 ED

guided with orion 80mm F11,4 + qhy5

*clicking on the pic will give a higher resolution*

between M13 and the edge on galaxy NGC 6207 , is a small background galaxy i think.

regards erwin

m13-31mei-klein.jpg

next time, i will spend even MORE time on focusing...

Lol! No no no no no! LESS time focussing, more time imaging!

Have you tried a Bahtinov mask yet? You will achieve perfect focus in a fraction of the time taken by other methods, and thus be able to spend more time with the cameras shutter open for the right reasons!

It's a great image anyway, I really like the way the faint outer stars are really coming through. M13 is a lot bigger than it first appears at the eyepiece or with short exposures.

TJ

Erwin, hope you don't mind me taking your image and drawing a rather ugly white circle on it... just wanted to illustrate my point...

This might help Peter, I've circled what fuzzy I think is IC4617. The source I've linked to states that IC4617 appears "to the left of M13, at the top of that parallelogram of stars" - seems to fit to me. Star-hop #3 on this website describes it well. NGC6207 is to the southwest of IC4617.

What do you think?

Amanda

post-16040-133877378332_thumb.jpg

Great image Erwin. Regarding the dreaded meridian flip. As your targeting a reasonably bright object, it might have been a good idea to not use GOTO and move the scope from the park position to M13 via the hand controller RA & DEC arrow buttons. You can then position the scope with the counterweights already on the Western side. Then go through the menu and turn the tracking on. That way the synscan knows its already flipped. (Of course this is presuming M13 is high enough so the scope tube doesn't get too close to the tripod legs to start off with).

Cheers

Matt

@ TJ no i don't have a bahtinov yet, still have to look have to make a good one.

There's a guy on ebay sells them very cheap for what they are, good quality acrylic too, very neatly cut.

If you do an ebay search for bahtinov masks you will find his shop. his user name is im-a-geekosaurus-and-I-dont-care.

If you havent seen or used one yet, then you dont know what you are missing, I can promise you that. Perfect focus in seconds.

Archived