NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First 'LIVE' Lunar Sketch

ashenlight

Morning all!

After encouragement from Andrew yesterday evening (thankyou :)) I got out there with the scope to try my hand at a live sketch. I THINK (I can't be sure - I just checked this this morning on Moon Atlas and I'm still finding my way around the program) the crates are Atlas and Hercules... the only craters in the area of Moon that matched the formation I had seen. I think the scale and spacing of the various parts of the landscape are slightly off myself, but I am pleased with the shading and depth, particularly for my first effort.

Viewed with my SW scope at (based on my calculations) 258x mag. Used 10mm and 3x barlow. Seeing was pretty darn good :cool: Took 1 hr.

9:45 - 10:45pm

Outline - 3B

Shadows - 8B

Medium shadows - 6B

Crater floor, surrounding area - 4B

details picked out with putty rubber, used a blending pencil to try and smooth it out.

Amanda

post-16040-133877375234_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks John, I can log it now I know it's Hercules and Atlas :cool: I'm gonna get out there again tonight I think, the Moon is really well placed for me around 10pm. Practice makes perfect!

Hope you all have clear skies tonight

Amanda

Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball = my earworm, cheers Andrew :) you are right :cool: gonna have to get the motor going soon by the time I've shaded in an area the Moon has sneaked out of the FOV.

Amanda

:cool:

my earworm

That does make me laugh Amanda !... I remember seeing Queen a good few times in the late 70's and early 80's - they were very impressive.

Your sketches are really great. One that would be hard - I'm guessing - is a sketch that somehow catches the earthlight and the crescent moon. Have you seen any like this ? The live sketch must be just a tricky ?

Good work. Makes me dead jealous (in a friendly way)

Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball = my earworm,

Awesome song. When I was finishing school that was the party song, believe it or not! No house party was complete without it.

I know what you mean about it sneaking off. When I was doing my Janssen sketch I was using the dob so kept having to recentre it, but even worse when doing the Copernicus sketch with an 82° field around the crater, I kept on jumping to nearby Eratosthenes in mistake for Copernicus. he's like his little brother!

Anyway, keep it up. You going out tonight again? The sky's clear over here with a nice high moon...

Andrew

I kept looking at all the wrong craters last night! I might pop out there for another look... feeling bit too tired to do any sketching tonight. I'll have a nap tomorrow afternoon and do some tomorrow! I think you should get out there :cool:

Wow, that's fantastic. I'd love to be good at this. Unfortunatly, I'm about as artistically useful as an umbrella in the Sahara. They look pretty accurate to what I've seen of these craters. Keep it up, James.

:icon_salut: Excellent, Amanda!!! Wonderful work, the craters are very 'identifiable'. Did you have any problems with dew on the paper? (Sorry i'm so late to your premier... i collapse the imaging zone and keep forgetting the sketches are in here.)

Talitha, thank you :icon_salut::D no problems with dew, although I had a few problems with the wind, my paper kept rolling up - need to invest in a clip I think.In retrospect I think the shape is slightly off on the right hand crater, where highlight meets highlight at the bottom.... something to take into the next sketch :cool:

"the shape is slightly off on the right hand crater"

Yeah, i noticed three or four misplaced grains of regolith over there. :cool:

Seriously though, was your 'shape is slightly off' comment made because you compared your sketch to a static photo and noticed a difference? If so, remember that the Moon's librational position may have been different when the image was taken. Libration skews and opens lunar features, so TBH, i'd trust what's on the sketch. :icon_salut:

Thanks Talitha :icon_salut: I started sketching last night but I just wasn't in 'the zone' - couldn't even draw the outline of craters. Do you ever get like that? In the end I Just enjoyed gazing at the Moon, did some afocal imaging too.

Amanda

Ah, 'the zone'... lovely dreamplace, isn't it? :icon_salut: When i drift into that meditative state, it makes me fall into the eyepiece and lose all sense of time, and i'm wonderfully refreshed afterwards. Like i just had a soul-massage.

But like you said, sometimes it just doesn't want to kick in. Jonn Serrie's music helps take me there, though. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but comes pretty close.

Goodness....Can't believe I'm late on this one. Well done Amanda, that's a great sketch at the ep. :cool::icon_salut:

I really do need to have a go at our nearest neighbour. I don't know the geography though, what's 'Moon Atlas'? Is it one of those lovely freebies from t'internet?

Stef

• 2 weeks later...

Archived