Two large solar flares in past 24 hrs - possible geomagnetic unrest on the way again.

Just now, DaveL59 said:

be nice if the wall-to-wall cloud would shift then... ah well 😞 

The forecast here is good until mid evening. So I fully expect to be clouded out again.

Some hope for the allsky camera oop north:

image.jpeg.36e36e2d828ba49289b9cd1f3b5a8963.jpeg

• Like 2

It was just nice to see the CME from the most powerful flare of the solar cycle doing something. Hopefully @Shimrod caught it.

Not sure that tonight's impact will produce much of a show, but it is picking up as I type.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leo S said:

It was just nice to see the CME from the most powerful flare of the solar cycle doing something. Hopefully @Shimrod caught it.

Not sure that tonight's impact will produce much of a show, but it is picking up as I type.

Yes! We had quite a good night after a slow start. Not the best I've seen but still a good display, with plenty of naked eye colour.

It was supposed to have dropped back for tonight but looks like we might have another early evening display for our last forecast clear night.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here we go again!

X-2 flare! Still in progress.

Edit: looks like it came from AR-3842 which was not facing Earth.

latest_1024_0094.jpg

Edited by Leo S

4 minutes ago, Leo S said:

STEVE?

No, I'm Paul !!

Seriously, I think STEVE's tend to be attached to the main area of activity and more flare like and more radial to the center of the auroaral oval?

It doesn't look ray-like enough to me. Possibly just a corona in the making?

Edited by Paul M
  • Haha 1

I think there has been some STEVE  and SAR arcs tonight, going by the Aurora app. 

Pishing down here though. Picked up Aurora early am the cloud cleared as the Aurora faded away.

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 2

Here is the full dusk to dawn activity as seen from my Allsky cam in n. central Cumbria.

You might notice a glitch in the matrix shortly before dawn. I isolated that frame below. Looks like the Mothership of a Ravening Bug Bladder Beast invasion. Nothing on the news this morning...

image-20241008043038.thumb.jpg.b7c3b36733b67395d59f24bc401bda2a.jpg

• Like 4

I captured the image below with a 24mm lens shortly before cloud closed in after 10pm.

I didn’t catch the early morning peak in aurora activity, but there was torrential rain by the time I went to bed after 1am, and winding back the cloud radar shows pretty solid overcast at the relevant time.

Regards, Mike.

IMG_0439.jpeg

• Like 7

So that was a STEVE on my camera. Watching the timelapse (above) there is, what looks like a steak of jet stream cirrus moving parallel to the overhead red feature, "blowing" L to R which is east to west.

Maybe part of it.

Kinda wowser! 

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul M said:

Ravening Bug Bladder Beast invasion. Nothing on the news this morning...

or just "Son of STEVE"
If I had thought of that earlier it might have made it to the news! 

Edited by MalcolmP
  • Haha 2

So we managed four consecutive days of aurora sightings from arrival in Iceland on Friday! Settled for just observing last night although I set my camera to do a time lapse overnight. My poor travel laptop is getting old though and struggling to render the images so that will have to wait until I get home.

Now got wall to wall cloud which  may not clear until Friday which may coincide with a bit more solar activity.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

So we managed four consecutive days of aurora sightings from arrival in Iceland on Friday! Settled for just observing last night although I set my camera to do a time lapse overnight. My poor travel laptop is getting old though and struggling to render the images so that will have to wait until I get home.

Now got wall to wall cloud which  may not clear until Friday which may coincide with a bit more solar activity.

Not bad going! And NOAA has another load predicted to arrive on Friday :)

NOAA-1.jpg.a31892c52fd158eab8ad65e7b463c2f3.jpg