Two large solar flares in past 24 hrs - possible geomagnetic unrest on the way again.

Incredible timelapse, @Paul M, and so many great photos on this thread!

Think I watched, or at least stood waiting for gaps in the cloud, for about 7 hours, then got 3 hours sleep! There must have been some clear spells, as I have 7 Gb of photos to work through 😁.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 2

So it looks like that spell just after midnight corresponded with the highest activity. If there's anyone who managed to stay out until dawn, did it ever look any better than that?

I almost missed the peak myself - we had already locked up after a couple of hours outside, but Mrs. Z insisted on "one last look".

Screenshot_20241011-100023.thumb.png.e347e32448d527e54c298e8ab22cd997.png

• Like 4

I'd say it was doubtful, I was recording on and off since around 10 until 1, it was generally always in the sky W to Z to E but a dull diffuse red, the N was also fairly green for a lot of the time. But during the peak it exploded in colour and definition, looks good in my video which I'm going through.

• Like 2

Yes, I think that peak represents the highest activity. Though I only saw the aurora through cloud at that time, there was never again so much colour to the eye, at least up until I called it a night at around 04:20.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 2

Here's my first timelapse, after only a quick process of the 60+ frames, showing the aurora from around 21:15 to 22:15. As you can see I was having to deal with 2 layers of cloud, moving in different directions! (The flash towards the end is a passing train).

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Elp said:

I'd say it was doubtful, I was recording on and off since around 10 until 1, it was generally always in the sky W to Z to E but a dull diffuse red, the N was also fairly green for a lot of the time. But during the peak it exploded in colour and definition, looks good in my video which I'm going through.

Yep, this is what I experienced too. I stayed out until 2am, there were a few moments of the pillars appearing again, but they were short in duration and nothing like what we all experienced at the peak.

I woke up at 6am to bring the scope in (surprisingly the data isn't too bad), and even then in the dawn-light, the aurora was still visible on the camera.

• Like 4

Here is my gif from last night, 282 frames of 4 sec exposures from the All Sky Camera, covering about 30 minutes of actual time. The red light wavelength from the AB is 630 nm vs 656 nm for Ha so in theory my NB from last night should be unaffected?

However, I don't feel so bad about completely missing May's display now.😉

GifMaker_20241011155701476.gif.329917174f65126dc3b6f9048598b340.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomato said:

The red light wavelength from the AB is 630 nm vs 656 nm for Ha so in theory my NB from last night should be unaffected?

However, I don't feel so bad about completely missing May's display now.😉

Glad you were able to catch this one. This one was more spectacular to the naked eye.

I had my scope running in broadband last night (hoping the Aurora might die down....I know, sacrilege!), and the majority of the subs actually aren't as bad as I had expected, to the point I'm thinking of adopting them for an ongoing project. The Aurora was so spectacular, so I don't mind if the data gets ditched, but we'll see.

Missed too much of the last one faffing about so I left the camera indoors this time round , wrapped up snugly and sat outside most of the night just soaking up the visual spectacle as it danced around and ebbed and flowed over the entire northern hemisphere ... 😏

• Like 3

Here’s a selection of my images from last night. I used an EOS 5D MkIII and a selection of lenses.

The first shows some of the activity at the post-midnight peak, when most of the sky was cloudy. Elsewhere in the sky, the green band was visible, but the colourful rays towards the zenith only lit the cloud from behind. An old Leica 50mm lens was used at f/2.8.

The last 2 were taken much later, between 02:30 and 03:40, when the sky finally cleared. A Sigma 35mm lens was used, at F/2.

Regards, Mike.

5O9A7593.jpeg

5O9A7771.jpeg

5O9A7799.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
Added photo details
  • Like 5

Here's a timelapse from Iceland - this is looking to the west - a lot more action than looking north. I've experienced this once before in Greenland, when we had to look south to see the northern lights. Unfortunately on this occasion we had a mountain in the way.

Images taken with a Canon 7d mk2, 15-85mm lens at 15mm, 6 second exposures at ISO 3200. night of 10th.

• Like 8

Even got this in SE London with London LP in the way.  Opposite my house, street lights and all. 

Nothing to see naked eye though   Just kept shooting and hoping for the best   5secs DSLR   

2nd photo from a neighbours loft window. 

4B1A3C41-BC4E-49E9-B729-89790AA8416D.jpeg

7EF44350-D39D-4D14-9ADC-04B78EF7C96E.jpeg

Edited by carastro
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Elp said:

Here's my contribution:

That's pretty impressive for real time capture - what camera did you use? My Canon 7Dmk2 is not great in low light levels with a very noisy sensor at high ISO levels. I'm generally reluctant to go past 3200 which was not sensitive enough to capture Aurora on video.

8 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

what camera did you use?

Sony A6400, works well for meteor showers too, even long exposure AP but you're stuck to 30s exposures max. The A7Ss I had before that were even better for low light video (probably the best cameras for it still today, even the mark 1) and less noisy due to their massive 8.4um pixels (but their AP image performance is strange due to how the sensor behaves, that's why I changed and I preferred the smaller apsc bodies). Sony uses a different ISO scale, this was recorded at ISO 10000, even at 20K it's still okay. The A7S I could do double that (it's ceiling is 400K).

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1