NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More Dob tweaks

geppetto

Cloudy again so time for more tweaks to the Revelation 8" Dob.

I was a bit put off by the brightness of the inside of the OTA so after a full stripdown

its now got a coat of stick on flocking to the entire inner tube.

Also, there was light coming in from the back, arround the mirror.

Cured this by sticking to the OTA, a length of 6mm black rubber tube in a ring just forward of the

primary to act as a baffle.

The surface of the secondary holder facing the focuser got the flocking treatment as well since

it was also very shiny.

A 6" long tube of black foam made into a sort of dew shield fitted to stop light directly entering

the focuser via the front rim.

Hopefuly, I should get better contrast viewing from now on.

Also whilst the scope was stripped down, I fitted two stainless drawer handles about a third down the OTA

and its now 100% easier to mount the scope on its base.

Last but not least, I moved the position of the finder base more towards the focuser and now I can glance

through the finder without creaking my neck. :lol:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did you get the flocking from Phil

Daz

I got it from my local Homebase (took some finding in the store)

Most DIY stores have sticky back flock but not many have it in black.

Cost £5.99 per roll for 1 meter by 450mm if I remember correct.

Forcast for a clearish night tonight so testing time :lol::)

The flocking turned out to be a success.

The bit of orange glow that was leaking into the OTA from the nearby streetlights has gone.

Very much darker background.

Very nice sky tonight and the DOB gave glorious views of M3 M13 and the Leo triplet amongst others.

:lol:

Most people find it sufficient to put flocking paper opposite the focuser. Usually the tube is painted flat blak, anyway. I'm a little curious as to where the light leaking into the back of your scope was coming from. You doing your viewing in an active parking lot? :lol:

I like the handles on the tube. :)

ou doing your viewing in an active parking lot? Very Happy

Not far off WH :lol:

I have street light all around me and that darned orange light gets everywhere

Looking to make a three sided screen about 6 foot high to enclose my viewing area in the back yard.

The things we have to put up with :?

I know someone who did exactly that, with wooden frames and black cloth. I slung my patio umbrella on my fence last year, to cut out my neighbour's porch lights, and I'm thinking I should do this with the streetlight across the way, as it only goes out for 10 minutes when I shoot it out with my laser.

I know someone who did exactly that, with wooden frames and black cloth

Yes, I've seen a few designs and the plan is to use cheap 1.5" sink waste pipe and fittings to

make the frames with and cover them with some finely meshed black weed control stuff that I spotted at

a garden centre.

Should be quite effective :lol:

Most people find it sufficient to put flocking paper opposite the focuser. Usually the tube is painted flat blak, anyway. I'm a little curious as to where the light leaking into the back of your scope was coming from. You doing your viewing in an active parking lot? :D

I like the handles on the tube. :D

thanks for that bit of advice WH I had already flat blacked my dob tube project but some flocking where most effective may stand me in good stead :D

Well, that does look awesome? Are you going to stop using it as a Dob, now? I can think of times when either would be an advantage. My durrent plan is to get a Dob with setting circles (or a computer goto, depending on budget) and to have a frac for planetary and lunar. Considering a SCT as a travelling scope, too. Probably after I retire, and have money.

All you need now is a milk crate to stand on

Works out that a beer crate is about right, all I have to do is empty one :D

WH

No, its still mainly for use as a DOB, the setting circles save loads of time

and setup is quick.

I will put it on the mount for high power planet imaging with the Toucam and the odd long exposure

DSO imaging session.

Most of the time, my 130mm F5 reflector is on the CG5 mount for imaging.

Archived