Where to start?

Stu_53N_002W

Usually, it's at the beginning but today, I'll start with my interest in the sky. From fluffy clouds to crimson sunsets and distant planes full of travellers with stories to tell. I love the expance. Then as the evening draws in and the sky sweeps from powder blue to indego the stars start their show. For those in the north it's Arcturus to appear early and Arcturus was the first star I viewed through my newly aquired dobsonian a few weeks back. I gazed at that star and slowly brought to focus. It's was not alone!

Quite wounderful really. However, it's not always clear and when it is, it's not always convienient. A compromise is made.

So that's me, a bit of a dreamer with a telescope or two.

I've signed up as I have a question of the technical kind. One with cables and connectors. No rush, the stars aren't going anywhere. So whilst I search for the correct location to ask said question, I'll browse the forum and if I have something positive to add to a discussion I'll chime right in. Other wise I'll soak up the wisdom of others.

Stu 53°North 002°West

Edited by Stu_53N_002W
  • Like 6

Hi and welcome.

Do you have a local astro society? Based on your location (and how precise you are being) your nearest one may be the North Staffs AS which meets on the first Tuesday of the month.

You can find other local societies via the GoStargazing website which can also help with finding good locations for observing if your garden isn't ideal. 

https://gostargazing.co.uk/events-map/

• Like 1

Hi, just joined but have been "Looking Up" since childhood. Recently built an AllSky camera using a raspberry pi. Haven't set it up yet, need a way to secure it to the roof, because of trees next to house. Initially I wanted to run it on a power pack (50,00mAh) which lasted for almost 5 days, capturing day and night. I'll post some pics, soon. Anyway, just wanted say hi, share and learn about astronomy. As my first scope, I'm considering buying a svbony sv503 102ed f7 and was wondering if anyone in community had any experience, good or bad about them. Right now I got a star adventurer 2i and will consider getting a 8" dobsonian telescope. Ultimately, would like to get into Astro imaging. TitusPa

• Like 1

Hello Stu_53N_002W and Titus, welcome to the site. Ask away with any questions, those that have the answers will be more than happy to help.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2024 at 12:55, Stu_53N_002W said:

Arcturus was the first star I viewed through my newly aquired dobsonian a few weeks back. I gazed at that star and slowly brought to focus. It's was not alone!

Welcome to the forum. Next time you gaze at the stars, point your scope at Albireo. You’re probably going to like it.

• Like 1

Welcome. I only started this hobby (vice) early  this year but I have had a couple of telescopes and only now getting to grips with it all. Good luck and hope you enjoy and find the answers you need. Some great info on here as you have already discovered. 

• Like 1

Hi Stu and welcome - if you're anything like me, you'll find astro is like a vortex sucking you towards a (financial) black hole 😂. Yes it is a fascinating hobby and it does give us (well, me at least) a great sense of perspective away from the trivial and banal noise of everyday life but we are always dependent upon the weather gods and the amount of light pollution in our individual locations. What's more, it beats the hell out of sitting in front of the haunted fish tank, a habit the wife indulges far too much!

• Haha 1