NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn under good seeing (19/07/24)

Kon

The weather looked decent last night so I had a go on Saturn. Seeing was good although there were high clouds that made focusing a bit tricky. Despite this I managed a few captures with different filters. The colour image is 4x180s derotation, the IR 2x240s derotation and the methane is a single capture. Collimation is a bit off. Skywatcher 300P Flextube GOTO, asi462mc for the colour image and 462mm with CH4 or IR pass filters, ADC and 2.5xTV powermate.

rgb.png.285a26ad036413b61ddf2b7f646e0146.png

ir.png.8dea03c70cb31c25242740747da0d183.png

methane.png.30f957aa5228a30f02c3366eb12f383a.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 33

Very nice Kostas, seeing it edge on like this feels somewhat strange as I wasn’t really ‘into’ Astro back in 2010. Got my first scope it 2011.

I see there is a bit of a blue fringe to the underside of the rings in front of the globe, do you think this is real colour or an artefact? 

cheers 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice Kostas, seeing it edge on like this feels somewhat strange as I wasn’t really ‘into’ Astro back in 2010. Got my first scope it 2011.

I see there is a bit of a blue fringe to the underside of the rings in front of the globe, do you think this is real colour or an artefact? 

cheers 

Thanks Craig. Yes it is weird especially looking at the eyepiece. It has taken away from the excitement of the rings. Likewise, I have only been in the hobby since 2021.

The blue cast is an artefact; I had forgotten to align rgb...ooopps! Thanks for the keen eyes! I updated the image.

Very nice Kostas. Decent seeing is a godsend. I definitely prefer the colour image although the others have their benefits. I am just waiting for Saturn to appear from behind the neighbours tree at a respectable hour and I will have another go or three.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Craig. Yes it is weird especially looking at the eyepiece. It has taken away from the excitement of the rings. Likewise, I have only been in the hobby since 2021.

The blue cast is an artefact; I had forgotten to align rgb...ooopps! Thanks for the keen eyes! I updated the image.

Ah ok! Thought it could be real and some kind of effect from the ice in the rings…  never mind! Looking forward to seeing the images you produce around opposition with the new 12”

Edited by CraigT82

9 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Very nice Kostas. Decent seeing is a godsend. I definitely prefer the colour image although the others have their benefits. I am just waiting for Saturn to appear from behind the neighbours tree at a respectable hour and I will have another go or three.

Thanks Ian. I am off on holidays for 2 weeks so I thought to have a try as the weather prediction was good. I like the additional filters as you can reveal some other details, I think it works better for Jupiter.

It will be a busy imaging time for all of us from autumn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunshine said:

This is great, capturing the rings just slightly off from perfect edge on gives them depth, wonderful job.

Thanks. I am not sure we will be able to catch them edge on as it will be quite low for us next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Ah ok! Thought it could be real and some kind of effect from the ice in the rings…  never mind! Looking forward to seeing the images you produce around opposition with the new 12”

I hadn't seen the blue cast on others captures. You do see their reflection on the methane one though; brighter equator.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Very nice captures Kostas! That is the very same view I had through my first telescope back in 2010.  🙂 

Thanks Stuart. It puts it in perspective the dates, doesn't it?

This view really takes away from the exciting views.

11 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Beautiful captures, Kostas! Very inspirational; I plan on getting back out there with Saturn, soon. 

Regards, Reggie

Thanks Reggie. Looking forward to your images.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planetary Observer said:

Very nice images. I think I'm going to have to set my alarm, well, once the clouds where I am disappear!!

Thanks. Yes it's brutal waking up that early and then carry on with your day. I don't mind it sporadically but the weather is taking care of this 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Looks really good Kon, interesting to see the rings so close to edge on know. 

Thanks Pete. As I have only been in the hobby for a couple of years, it's quite a sight. The lack of rings makes it look so different down the eyepiece.

3 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Very nice captures Kostas. I haven't opened my obersvatory for months, so need to get my act together before the lunar occultation of Saturn on 21 Aug.....🤔 Enjoy your holidays.

Thanks Geoff. I am going to miss the occultation as I will be on another holiday 😭, but I hope the weather plays ball and I will see the images here.

I think you should start getting out slowly as I have seen excellent images of Jupiter from UK too.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I think you should start getting out slowly as I have seen excellent images of Jupiter from UK too.

Since my surgery I'm still a bit wary of being out in the observatory on my own at night, but I'm going to have to do it sometime.....😱

31 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Since my surgery I'm still a bit wary of being out in the observatory on my own at night, but I'm going to have to do it sometime.....😱

I fully understand and you hopefully feel confident/comfortable to get out soon.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Take your fully charged phone with you 👍

Thanks David, yes, I'd have my phone with me, but whether my wife would hear hers if I had to call for help is something else. I'm also more tired at night now since the surgery, though getting better as the weeks pass. If it weren't for the occultation next month, I'd probably not try imaging the planets for a couple of months yet.

• Like 2