NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie viewing satuarn

Its location is good right now nice and high by 10pm. What telescope are you using? My 1st view was in summer 07 through an ETX-70 and i was pleasantly supprised with what i saw. Are you using the free software "Stellarium"? this will give you a clear ideo of its location in the sky so you know where to look.

The telescope is a Celestron powerseeker 127 EQ with a 20K 3X barlow and two other eye pieces I cant remember... Where can I download the software?

Thanks for the advice

Saturn is just below the constellation of Leo at the moment - if you are not already using it, as suggested above the freeware Planetarium software Stellarium will show you where in the sky it is.

My advice would be be to try before midnight as Leo is starting to dip towards the east after that.

Saturn can be seen with just your eyes easily once you know where to look but you will need a telescope to see the rings and moons. 100x is a nice magnification to use. Don't expect the planet to look very big in the eyepiece unless you are using a really high powered telescope but it's a stunning sight.

Good luck !,

John

PS: http://www.stellarium.org/

even if all I see is a dot with a circle round it I'd be happy!

The rings are edge on to us at the moment so you don't see their full glory - but it's still very cool :)

John

Finding Saturn is just the coolest thing.

I may be wrong but I am sure that Saturn is roughly located south west.

I have only observed Saturn 3 or 4 times since I got my first scope a few months ago and I found it straight away last night. I started a wide view with a 25mm eyepiece, then when I found Saturn I then moved to a 10mm. The 10mm view of Saturn was pin sharp but small. I then added a 2x Barlow, Although Saturn was bigger, it was less deffined and the high winds made it jump all over the place.

I am desperate to image saturn as I feel this would be a huge leap for me photography wise.

Saturn is just magnificent in the right conditions. I have now got the bug big time and I was lucky to get 70MM-700MM SKYLUX off Ebay for only £13. My scope family is growing.

Hello Astral,

If you look tonight at 10PM Saturn will be about 40 degrees high in the south west.

It will be the first star you see looking in that direction.

If you use your scope with just the 20mm eyepiece it will give x50 - enough to see the rings.

Using the x3 Barlow will give x150 - a bigger image but dimmer and harder to track.

Best of luck.

oooo I cant wait. Might get my first glimpse tonight! Even if its a Rubbish view I'm sure I'll be excited. I hope its not windy, yesterday was a clear sky bt the wind just make keeping the image still impossible. Lucky I have a weighty scope or it would of been off down the road!

my next step will be astral photography

Had a great view of it last might with my Omni xlt150.

Just the tonic after watching my team(Preston)lose to Sheffield!

Took my mind right off it.

Look for the sickle in Leo,like a backwards question mark ,look at the bottom of the sickle,then pan left,start off at low power and thengradually increase till you get the best view.

:)

Astral - look mto the southwest. Its quite high in the sky. If you look Southwest and star straight ahead, then roll your eyes upwards without moving your head you should get close(ish).

Saturn is often spotted because it has a faint yellow/tan color compared to any bright stars that may be near it.

Use your lowest powered eyepiece to check. In your scope even at the lowest power you should be able to see the rings - which at the moment in a low power EP will make the planet look a bit lozenge shaped. When you go for more power you will see the rings as a straight line across the planet. As already said the rings are very edge on at the moment.

Good luck - its a great sight in a telescope and your 127 should be able to resolve it pretty well. The small dot near(ish) will be Titan - one of Saturns moons.

Cloudy nights AARRGGGHHH!!! Can't complain in Northern Ireland. Clear and cloudless!!

Just back in after my first real successful viewing!!!! Still buzzing after seeing Saturn for the 1st time. Will post my thoughts in the morning. Why does it have to be a clear night when you've got work the next day!!!

RTB

Using the chart in the middle pages of Sky at night each month I can now find Saturn with ease. (It helps that it's just to the left of Leo's backwards question mark just now!

As a beginner, Saturn and the moon are my favourite things just now, but i'm sure i'll find others as I go on

I never tire of viewing Saturn but it will be setting earlier in the east as the weeks go by so make the best of it now. If you look very carefully under good conditions you can often see up to 5 moons. Try zooming in to Saturn on Stellarium and it shows you where the moons are so you can identify them.

Im using a celestron powerseeker 127 EQ

Any good?

That should show nice views of the ringed planet :)

My advice is to use low power to start with and don't worry about the image being small, as long as it's clear.

You should see the planet plus it's edge-on rings and it's brightest moon, Titan easily. As you study it more you will be able to see some of the other moons as well but they are much fainter than Titan so will need dark skies and concentration to spot.

Have fun :D

John

Its cloudy! Noooooo!

Just looked at the forecast and its going to be Rubbish all wekk too. Damn Now I understand frustrated astronomers!

thats nothing to do with the clouds, its the partners when they get fed up of you not wanting to come to bed and so take their revenge when you wake them up by climbing in bed whilst doing a passable imitation of a block of ice

I had my 1st real view of Saturn only 10 days ago with my 114mm reflector, and I was blown away even though it looked small. I could see the rings edge on, Titan and another moon. I could definately make out it was saturn in a yellow type colour and the rings, though I would like to see it with its rings showing more, but still happy for my 1st time.

Anthony

Archived