NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wil Tirion RIP

Sad to hear that Will Tirion has passed away (Jul 5) - the Sky Atlas 2000 and Uranometria 2000 are two of my most favourite star atlases.

Callum

• Sad 5

That is sad to hear. I have a number of books with his excellent star maps in them. Very clear and easy to use.

Posted (edited)

R.I.P.

I remember admiring his charts when I was only a kid. It must have been at the same time as I read the Chronicles of Narnia, and Goosebumps. So, it was C. S. Lewis, R. L. Stein, and Wil Tirion. I thought Tirion was the coolest of them all. "He makes maps... of stars." A poetic life. 

Edited by Emperor!Takahashi!

Sad to hear this, he is a personal hero of mine. I've often wondered about the technology behind his superb maps.

Legend in our hobby. Certainly always felt synonymous with astronomy given all the best atlases had his name on them. As a kid I always thought is sounded cool to be called a Stellar Cartographer as well.  He gave an interesting presentation at AstroFest years ago. 

In the age of digital stellar maps, tends to use it less, but will never let my laminated field edition of Sky Atlas 2000 go.

IMG_5427.thumb.jpeg.438a2f51bd1f5e694468f518c18a3aeb.jpeg

• Like 2

A large portion of my star map usage over the years.  Sad to lose him but what a legacy!  I think anyone who leaves such a worthwhile legacy must rest in peace. 

• Like 2

Binocular Astronomy by Crossen and Tirion was my first astronomy book.  It comes with Tirion's 10-map Bright Star Atlas 2000.0 maps in the back.  I made copies of them on the copier at work and taped them together to create an ad hoc all-sky map that I could fold and unfold like a road map under the stars.  Between the maps and the descriptions of the sky and its objects, I was quickly bootstrapped into the world of amateur astronomy.  Wil Tirion will be greatly missed.

Sorry to hear this news. I've been using two books/maps a lot in the last couple of months... the Cambridge Double Star Atlas and Collins Atlas of the Night Sky, both of which Wil had a hand in.

Wil Tirion, renowned Astro-cartographer of Star Atlas 2000.0 [plus other star atlases] and gracing the boxes of Explore Scientific equipment/accessories passed away last week. More details here… https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/wil-tirion-1943-2024/?utm_source=cc&utm_medium=newsletter

image.png.6b53d0107454efbf853bf9fdcb564f66.png

Edited by RT65CB-SWL

• RT65CB-SWL changed the title to Wil Tirion…