Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure??

Search period start: 00:00 Monday, 11 May, 2009

Search period end: 00:00 Thursday, 21 May, 2009

Observer's location: Unspecified, 0.0000°N, 0.0000°E

Local time zone: Central European Summer Time (UTC + 2:00)

Orbit: 345 x 357 km, 51.6° (Epoch May 10)

Click on the date to get a star chart and other pass details.

Date Mag Starts Max. altitude Ends

Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az.

11 May -0.8 07:30:12 10 NNW 07:33:02 43 NE 07:35:53 10 SE

13 May -1.5 06:46:48 10 NNW 06:49:42 53 NE 06:52:36 10 SE

14 May -0.7 07:14:14 14 W 07:15:33 18 SW 07:17:42 10 S

That was a good one! I was following another fainter sat for a while and then the ISS turned up, way brighter than Arcturus. A bit past Bootes, I could see another two sats converging on its track, all in the 5 degree field of the (image-stabilised by wooden inertial frame) 10x50 binoculars.

dark knight, you need to set your "Observer's location".

You're welcome DK, North/South is Iridiums... amongst others

MB There's currently 2 passes per night, at reasonable times, although there is the occasional third pass that bit later. Good luck with those bins.

I'm going to lay an ambush around Alkaid with an 84x56 arcminute fov in the 450D. I estimate apparent speed at 69 arcmins per second. I hope I can get 3.5 fps shooting rate so I'm in with a chance. Apparently, High ISO Noise reduction needs to be off. I got astronomiser's external power cable today so that will feature too. I guess I should use RAW capture (no JPEG) and the laptop EOS Utility to fire off the exposures.

Actually, if you want to sustain 3.5 fps, then use JPG... That will allow you about 35 exposures at 3.5fps, whereas in RAW it's 6 before the buffer is full, and the frame rate will drop to a little under 1 fps. High ISO NR will cause the frame rate to drop to about 2 fps with pauses for the first 6 in RAW.

...Go hardcore and get ur webcam on it. Thats what I plan to do! muuwhahahaha.

Warning, if you live in Somerset, you may hear distant excho's of a man swearing while the ISS is flying over LOL.

Matt

I never knew that John, I often see a constant moving object going north to South, not streaking across like a meteor. I always wondered what they were and presumed it could be the ISS. I guess it's more likely to be a satellite maybe?

...Go hardcore and get ur webcam on it. Thats what I plan to do! muuwhahahaha.

Warning, if you live in Somerset, you may hear distant excho's of a man swearing while the ISS is flying over LOL.

Matt

Matt, I'm planning the same thing with the Skymax, my SPC900 and hopefully, if I can get away with it a barlow... I must be mad.... There might be a lot of screaming going on :)

DK, HA and a number of others will enable you to determine what you're looking it, there's a lot of stuff up there floating around in orbit...

I was looking through some binos and then decided I would scan the galaxy region between Leo and Virgo with my 12" skyliner when I was dazzled by the ISS. I didn't even know it was coming. Managed to track it with the Dob and a 30mm UWA Moonfish, it was all very bright but the arms of the ISS were easy to make out.

Alkaid ambush failed due to cloud. Next pass I tried waiting by Omicron of Virgo but the HA chart was off and the ISS passed too far away from it ( I also realized I couldn't reach focus and I had to use the Barlow so my FOV was much smaller). Next time, eh?

Archived