Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What tripod and mount do you use for visual viewing and why?

I now have quite a few tripods with various heads for mounting my scopes, but I still feel a little frustrated with them, too heavy and bulky, not strong enough, incorrect fittings etc.

What have you found to be an ideal tripod and mount for visual use?

I'm leaning towards a gitzo tripod, really excellent construction and portable, but what head?

Chaz

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

I now have quite a few tripods with various heads for mounting my scopes, but I still feel a little frustrated with them, too heavy and bulky, not strong enough, incorrect fittings etc.

What have you found to be an ideal tripod and mount for visual use?

I'm leaning towards a gitzo tripod, really excellent construction and portable, but what head?

Chaz

Which scope is it for Chaz?

I use a Gitzo GT5542LS and a ScopeTech Zero mount as a lightweight grab and go for my FC100DC. Both of these are no longer available but the latest Gitzo equivalent is the GT5543LS.

There is now a Sightron Japan Alt-Az Mount which is similar to the old ScopeTech I believe.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sightron-japan-alt-azimuth-mount.html

For small refractors, specially ones for solar , I use an AZ3,   Why?, mainly because it has good manual slow motions.  It is also relatively light, sturdy and steady if set up properly and can be modified to overcome imbalance issues for high altitude viewing.  Also inexpensive!       🙂 

All of my mounts are undriven alt-azimuths. I have 4 of those in various sizes / capacities and a range of tripods to suit them, depending on the scope that I'm using.

I've tried many mounts over the years but undriven alt-az seems to tick more boxes for me.

At the moment AZ4 (and dob mount for the dob - obviously) - but looking to upgrade to SkyTee II.

I miss slow motion control - not so much for observing as for performing all sorts of tests / measurements. If you for example want to do a star test on the scope - it is very hard to point it to artificial star at high magnification without slow motion controls.

Posted (edited)

I use either of these… IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPGAOK-AYO [left] and Tele-Optic Giro [right]

If I go lightweight ‘grab & go’ then I will use a Universal Astronomics DwarfStar mount or a photography ball head on a Manfrotto PROB tripod. Images below of my ‘re-modded’ ETX-105 with the DwarfStar mount…A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

and TeleVue Ranger and photography ball head…IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.61d0def85db3d5e798128ef6d95d020b.JPG

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 4

My scopes of choice are the TV85 and Ranger, I have a fork mount on a surveyor tripod for my large binoculars plus TV Gibraltar mounts for my larger scopes.

Next year I'm retireing so I'm trying to get the mounts that will see me out, so to speak.

I don't like the cheap aluminium mounts like the eq1, I do have a Manfrotto tripod which is versatile, lots of choices out there so that's why I started this thread to see what people are using.

Chaz

• Like 1

Can you still get the Dwarf Star mount? I've looked up their site but can't see if they're still selling them.

Chaz

Posted (edited)

I doubt I've found an ideal combo, but my default and most used is a ScopeTech Zero on an Innorel RT90C carbon fiber tripod.  I've tried several friction mounts and I much prefer mounts with slo-mo.  My other manual mount is an AZ Pronto for my little 50mm converted finder, usually on a small Benro tripod.  That's my ultimate grab-n-go.

I have an AZ-GTi, but haven't used it much at all since I bought it last December except to play around with SynScan a bit.

Edited by jjohnson3803

10 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

Can you still get the Dwarf Star mount? I've looked up their site but can't see if they're still selling them.

Chaz

I think they are out of production now. I had one but stupidly sold it. When I wanted something similar I went for a TS AZT6 but it cost me more than I'd sold the Dwarf Star for 😬

Teleskop-Express: TS-Optics Tilting Head and Altazimuth Mount for photo tripods-AZT6

If I've got the time to waste I use a Tecnosky Cubo on an Innorel CF tripod. Thought I'd miss slomo, I don't. If I want to spend more time observing in less time I use goto mounts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My ideal tripod and mount for visual use is the Berlebach UNI 18K70 and Rowan AZ75 with encoders and Nexus II.

With the geared center column, I am easily able to use the excellent straight through finder of the Takahashi μ-180C without bending into uncomfortable positions, as raising and lowering the column has no noticeable affect on visual use. This also allows me to easily share the view with family members.

The AZ75 mounts my Takahashi μ-180C and FOA-60Q. While the μ-180C acclimates to the temperature, I enjoy the night's sky with the FOA-60Q. The encoders combined with SkySafari allow me to both learn the sky and find targets quickly.

CoolDown.thumb.jpg.720a7078d45096264953f949c0d9971e.jpg

As for a more mobile solution, I am still searching. I own a Super Mount S-Mini and Berlebach Report 322/KA40. Though shown in the image below, I have yet to actually use it under the stars as I have not traveled with my scopes yet.

SMini.thumb.jpg.d9644427a1077a58f5afdf3f3758a0ff.jpg

However, the Report is currently holding my Orion Paragon-Plus binocular mount, and am not likely to switch it as it allows my daughter (only two in the picture below) to stargaze (or should I say moon gaze) with me.

ParagonPlus.jpg.8b830e0739c4d8d70bd59dee84239ea0.jpgMoonViewing.thumb.jpg.608e189d46c90066475084d8203f1943.jpg

I might buy a second Berlebach Report 322/KA40. However, I am also considering a Gitzo GT3355L with a GS5313LGS geared center column, but that is more than I am willing to spend at this time.

Edited by PatientObserver
  • Like 9

Both my Innorels extend to over my head height to allow very comfortable refractor viewing. Obviously not as stable as a squat Berlebach, if they're the same height the Innorel dampens similar to my Uni 4.

35 minutes ago, Elp said:

Both my Innorels extend to over my head height to allow very comfortable refractor viewing. Obviously not as stable as a squat Berlebach, if they're the same height the Innorel dampens similar to my Uni 4.

I have read good things about the Innorel tripod. Not so much about their center column. Now that I am used to a geared center column, there is no going without one for me.

From my experience, any central column, either built into the tripod or a solid extension piece can introduce a level of flex. I was imaging with my SF102 the other night, perfect for two hours then the guiding started going crazy due to pick ups of the breeze. The mount (hem15) was mounted on a short pier due to the length of the scope so the mount was actually at my eye height. I'm sure without the pier it'd be more rigid. With a short extended tripod, even more rigid. The Innorels I normally use only with one leg section extended for this reason, the Berlebach I bought the shortest Uni I could get for this reason too, but using it fully extended means having to kneel on the floor if I wish to see say Andromeda high in the sky in Autumn with the same scope, so the Innorels provide a more fitting option for increased height adjustment. I wanted it to be light, I can carry the whole rig with one hand if I wanted to (two for carrying it safely), not so much with the Uni, definitely not with a mount that uses counterweights.

For me tracking is a must. Just observing - no fiddling with slow motion controls and no fiddling with mount set up. So, just a simple driven EQ5. Plonk it down and go...

D5H_1340_DxO1200.jpg.d63e29838e7a5722af19e9a0eea648f9.jpg

• Like 2

On 21/05/2024 at 12:54, Chaz2b said:

Chaz

I have a feeling the owner/proprietor has sold up or retired. He did mention it several years ago.

I purchased mine secondhand via @heliumstar 

13 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I also have this birdwatching / superfast grab-and-go combination.

D5H_11172048.thumb.jpg.380f9145e48c48f17e680c5fd9a4e2c0.jpg

Beam me up Micheal, what’s the tripod the Taks on?

3 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Beam me up Micheal, what’s the tripod the Taks on?

It's a Slik Master Classic. The centre column attachment is a hide clamp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

It's a Slik Master Classic. 

I use one of those with my 70mm ED frac. Very stable, quality tripod 👍

altair70ed.jpg.ae60e2c49b2262d6f95736cfb078af3c.jpg

• Like 2

On 22/05/2024 at 09:05, PatientObserver said:

My ideal tripod and mount for visual use is the Berlebach UNI 18K70 and Rowan AZ75 with encoders and Nexus II.

With the geared center column [...]

Is there much lateral "wiggle" when you unlock the geared column to raise / lower it?  I have a couple of geared column tripods, but I don't use them very often because they can move a few degrees in azimuth when I loosen the column lock.  Keeping some tension on the column helps, but it's not ideal and I worry about premature wear.  Thanks!

16 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Is there much lateral "wiggle" when you unlock the geared column to raise / lower it?  I have a couple of geared column tripods, but I don't use them very often because they can move a few degrees in azimuth when I loosen the column lock.  Keeping some tension on the column helps, but it's not ideal and I worry about premature wear.  Thanks!

Most of the time I do not even bother tightening the lock. If I am at high magnification I do tighten it, but that is rare in my geographic location. So I cannot say I have noticed it. I will try to remember to test this next time I am able. May be some time as it has been cloudy here most nights.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a useful thread to read, I haven't though much about mounts for a while and there's quite a few options out there I had not been aware of.

My smallest/lightest set up is a neewer carbon tripod and AZT6, it isn't hugely stable (the tripod that is) but in its favour it packs down small, is very light, and I can raise a scope to head height. This can take small refractors.

ts72.png.23cf36f9bd8969a5785d07139651b7ac.png

I use a Vixen Porta 2, which is more stable and has slow motion controls  but it doesn't pack down so small and it can't raise a scope to head hight. This can take scopes such as a 127 mak or ST120. I use this mostly if I'm observing away from home but don't have to pack down small.

2018.thumb.jpg.593092378a4e4a8178875289b057b2ed.jpg

I use a Skytee 2 on 1.75" steel tripod, which is quick easy to use, and much more stable. This can take up to things like a C8 or 125mm refractor. This is mostly used for grab and go sessions at home.

20220407_213054.thumb.jpg.367adb8cc7a6419a255a49aa597a341d.jpg

Then I use an EQ5 on a 1.75" tripod. This is more stable still and I use the RA motor for tracking, but is more hassle getting set up. This is used for longer sessions or if I know I'm going to be at higher magnifications and looking at faster moving targets.

20230622_213152.thumb.jpg.449c13d1efdeb0896496cfdfbf614877.jpg

I've got an extension pier that I'll use sometimes with the skytee 2 or eq5, mainly if I'm observing things at high altitude with the SM125, but it means more vibes.

SM125BVDelos.thumb.jpg.7f7159a0a0fade0bb28837e70259613e.jpg

Edited by Paz
  • Like 3