Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Goodbye to AR3664

IB20

Posted (edited)

AR3664 is now on the the solar limb, who knows if it’ll return as something smaller or larger. It is still surrounded by bright plages and some small bright prominences can be seen ejecting from the area now it’s on the limb.
It has been incredible to see such a large and active region, constantly evolving in shape and ejecting both M & X class flares. Even more so the results of those ejections in Friday night’s spectacular UK aurorae show, a real privilege. 

If you don’t do solar observing, in either WL or Ha you’re missing a real treat, especially with the recent state of our nighttime skies.

Edited by IB20
  • Like 10

Agreed - AR3664 has been a memorable sight, coupled with the aurora a few days ago, plus some nice warm weather, a memorable week for us astronomers 😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

Agreed - AR3664 has been a memorable sight, coupled with the aurora a few days ago, plus some nice warm weather, a memorable week for us astronomers 😀

It was indeed memorable. It is the 50th year of the Derby and District Astronomical Society and we had a party to celebrate the anniversary on Friday night and as we were just about to leave someone spotted the aurora. People came out the club and they even switched off all the outside lights. It was an amazing end to the evening.

• Like 7

I'm very pleased to have been able to image it two different days and see how much it increased is size.

I am disappointed that due to scheduling at work I missed the aurora!

With there still being more of the active period ahead, who knows what we might still see!

• Like 2

I spent over an hour this morning using my LS60 to follow the evolution of the 'small bright prominences' on the limb that the group was producing, until thicker cloud put an end to things for me at about 20 past midday: a wonderful sight, and a fine farewell display from it as it disappears round the back of the sun!    

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some silly solar noob thought the AR had already said tatty bye yesterday! (cough) :embarrassed:

What an AR! What a week! Even the dude who was selling the Lunt 100 has had second thoughts after the past week!

spacer.png

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

There was an amazing Y shaped prominence ejecting from AR3664 before the clouds rolled in. Plasma  appeared to be raining back onto the solar surface from the arms of the Y. I hope some of the solar imagers caught it, what a way to bow out.

Edited by IB20
  • Like 2

I was watching it flaring in my LS50DS and thought - maybe there could be an increased chance of aurora for the imagers on the northern horizon... little did I think I'd see pink and green rays fanning down from overhead!

A lifelong dream to see with my own eyes fulfilled! 🙂

• Like 2

The Sky Gods just made my day, the cloud cleared and the Sun was just caught before it goes behind the wood next to me.
Indeed Goodbye AR3664, still hanging onto the limb.
What's rolling round the other side and into view is not shabby either.

Ended a grim day with a literal ray of sunshine.

• Like 2