NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aurorae likely tonight!!

With a number of big flares from the huge naked eye sunspot there is a predicted severe geomagnetic disturbance predicted overnight… read strong aurora that hopefully will cover the UK and maybe further south. Hopefully they’ll not arrive till it’s dark and hopefully they’ll not arrive much past 1/2am…. Fingers crossed.

peter

• Like 7

Looks to have had some initial impact just now, aurora energy levels rising, enough eruptions to hope this stays up and maybe gets even higher so there’s something to see when it gets dark….

Peter

Posted (edited)

The aurora watch bar graph was around 300 when I reported it an hour ago and kept rising over the hour up to 500 nT. It's just dropped down to near 200.

Edited by Elp

I’ve seen ones from Richmond park, get the streetlights out the way and cross your fingers. Activity is still high….

peter

• Thanks 1

My remote allsky camera has had some aurora success this spring but there isn't a lot of astronomical darkness up there now. 

Hopefully it'll still be clear around midnight.

I really do hope I see it tonight. I think the aurora is the astronomical related thing that I've tried to observe the most without actually seeing it yet. And there's been a few times which I seemingly missed it by minutes.

Posted (edited)

As seen by my phone an hour ago in eastern Europe (~55° north). It appears to have calmed down a bit since then

ffe0d5ec-6835-49c3-b517-cd9a1a94376d.jpg

Edited by HnrKS
  • Like 10

Skies are clear but couldn't see any an hour ago. Too bright here at 60N, this event is for southern folks to enjoy.

Here is what the Finnish meteorological institute picked up (Nurmijärvi is at 60N and the red dotted line way in the bottom of the graph is the usual visual limit):

aurora.JPG.e508db260850101dbc3763cb2350cd1c.JPG

I was outside right at that big peak to the right. Would probably have been a decent show in some other time of year, but i shouldn't complain since at 60N i do see them a few times a year.

• Like 1

Just went for a walk, can just about see a faint green glow to the south from bortle 8. City conditions and barely astronomical twilight and still visible, pretty rare for sure.

16 minutes ago, Elp said:

South?

The Sun is to the north this time of year and its the brightest part of the sky in a weird backwards sense.

This was just about barely visible to the zenith:

PXL_20240510_213949238.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.9c29e16b2e1e4ca9707fb6f5ff927d9a.jpg

Blue skies and still could see it, very unusual even here.

• Like 3