Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Variations in Astro darkness across the globe

Stu

I thought I would post these up after some discussion on the thread about what people do during the ‘off season’.

I wanted to show what happens at the North Pole and Equator as the two extremes, unfortunately Clear Outside won’t go above 80 degrees N but it still illustrates the point.

So, from South to North…

Equator:

IMG_8119.jpeg.1d72134ce8234b9fae1cb37d7ea594eb.jpeg

Crewkerne (My house 😊):

IMG_8111.jpeg.ed8c08cced78ee13010c3e0c623f6adb.jpeg

John O’Groats

IMG_8112.jpeg.dfee386b9d8aed824f8bc8d084672600.jpeg

80 degrees N:

IMG_8120.jpeg.f0d71f8993059da61f9f62dc9d876b74.jpeg

So, I think I’ll move to the Equator! Fab views of all though MW objects and consistent night time length through the year 👍

• Like 9

Ecuador used to be a favorite of American ex-pats thanks to its almost perfect weather year-round in the capital Quito at 9350 feet elevation and in Cuenca at 8500 feet.  However, the cartels have recently started a turf war over control of Ecuador, so the homicide rate has shot through the roof. :sad2:

• Sad 1

I am thinking of a move to Kalamata, Greece, next year. It's not the equator but there is astro dark all year round.

I'm quite ok with where I am at the moment:

image.thumb.png.bea6fda2da9da51a16e695c7945030f9.png

Sure, there is a month or so in the summer where we have 3:15 of total darkness with additional 2h of astronomical twilight - but we also get almost 11:40 total darkness in the winter ...

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I am thinking of a move to Kalamata, Greece, next year. It's not the equator but there is astro dark all year round.

I’ve often been disappointed with the transparency when I’ve been to places in the Med. Often it can be very hazy as pollution gets trapped down low. I guess exact location, winds and whether there has been recent rain all affect that, and I have had some excellent views but not always the case.

• Like 1

We can all discuss these differences and appreciate how things change with latitude. But not everyone is like this.

On holidays near the equator....
I have immediately noticed how late afternoon the sun descends almost vertically to the sea. No scraping the horizon!
Darkness falls very quickly.
The sun ascends on one side of island, climbs vertically overhead and descends on the other side of the island.
None of the other (northern hemisphere) visitors I spoke to had noticed any of this. They just moved loungers to sun/shade as necessary.

Again on a near equator holiday. Where are the recognisable (northern hemisphere) stars? 
Let me locate Polaris to get started. Drat it is scraping the horizon. No way can I make it out.
Never mind. Look the other way (south) and enjoy the (never seen before) sights😁.
Again I was on my own noticing this. It was an island with little light pollution.

In Egypt on a night dive away from built up areas I remember orange skyglow from a town around 50 miles away.
I also remember how it suddenly got very dark when the (near full) moon dropped behind a big hill.
That has to be the measure of a clear sky. Again nobody else noticed.

Apologies for the ramble.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Carbon Brush said:

We can all discuss these differences and appreciate how things change with latitude. But not everyone is like this.

On holidays near the equator....
I have immediately noticed how late afternoon the sun descends almost vertically to the sea. No scraping the horizon!
Darkness falls very quickly.
The sun ascends on one side of island, climbs vertically overhead and descends on the other side of the island.
None of the other (northern hemisphere) visitors I spoke to had noticed any of this. They just moved loungers to sun/shade as necessary.

Again on a near equator holiday. Where are the recognisable (northern hemisphere) stars? 
Let me locate Polaris to get started. Drat it is scraping the horizon. No way can I make it out.
Never mind. Look the other way (south) and enjoy the (never seen before) sights😁.
Again I was on my own noticing this. It was an island with little light pollution.

In Egypt on a night dive away from built up areas I remember orange skyglow from a town around 50 miles away.
I also remember how it suddenly got very dark when the (near full) moon dropped behind a big hill.
That has to be the measure of a clear sky. Again nobody else noticed.

Apologies for the ramble.

Yes, the speed it gets dark at those latitudes is very noticeable.

6 hours ago, Ags said:

…and lovely olives 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

…and lovely olives 

Winter weather is a mite cloudy though...

• Like 1

The Mrs recently had a job offer in a private hospital in Brisbane and I've been looking at the whole southern hemisphere gig. Darkness never too far away, great weather and a MW core at Zenith! Unfortunately due to a rapidly developing health condition she has had to turn the job down, and my astro hopes and dreams have had to follow :(

• Sad 1

I hope Ms Apricot makes a swift and complete recovery. Forget the southern hemisphere - imagine the fab views we would have if we could relocate to the Large Magellanic Cloud! It’s a big universe, always somewhere with a better view 😀