Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rainbow RST-300 for astrophotography?

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone could share their experience of using  Rainbow Astro's larger RST-300 for astrophotography? I have been a very happy user of the original RST-135 for several years on my camping trips to the desert. I found the RST-135 performed very well for guided AP even on a carbon fibre tripod and wasn't significantly affected by the periodic error inherent in harmonic drive mounts.

What setup do you use with the RST-300?

How well does it perform with long exposures?

Typical guiding accuracy?

Any comments gratefully received

I have the 135, it performs ok I just wasn’t very impressed with the engineering side of it, no idea how the larger version compares engineering wise, I’ve been considering getting the larger ZWO harmonic mount

I have the 135E and love it. The only issue I've found is the lack of a power-off brake, which has caught me out a couple of times in the 2.5 years that I've owned it.  

I thinking that I'll replace my heavy duty GEM with an harmonic mount at some point.  Needs to have 40kg load capacity though!

I found the unnecessarily fine thread on the Az adjustment was too easily stripped if adjusting with a scope on it, modified mine to fine thread metric bolts and nuts, the ST4 port on the top surface  has no  protection from dew running into it, found a plastic blanking plug for it and likewise the on off switch has the same problem when there’s no reason it couldn’t have a rubber hood

Dave

@Davey-TNo serious problems with the AZ adjustment here in my 135E though mine's carrying only a 9-10kg load usually. Maybe this helps?

Good point about the lack of dew protection. This would have been useful.  Again, no problems here in wet Lancashire🤞

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading the latest spec of the 135 which says "improved Alt' Az adjustment which looks to be coarser thread, presumably this applies to the 300 also so perhaps I wasn't the only one to complain to them, never received a reply 🙂 

Dave

• Like 1