Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Professor Ian Morison - RIP

Sadly, it has just been announced on the Macc Astro Soc group that Ian passed away earlier today. He had a long and distinguished career both as a professional astronomer and as a keen amateur astronomer too. He was hugely encouraging to newcomers to our hobby and was always happy to answer even the most basic questions. He authored many books and articles - particularly on astrophotography. A great loss to our community. Feel free to share your memories of Ian here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Morison

https://www.ianmorison.com/

Edited by Richard N
  • Sad 5

I'm very sad to hear of this.

Professor Morison gave a talk on double star observing at my Astro Society a few years ago which I found very interesting indeed and I've used the notes he handed out as prompts for observing targets since then.

I also enjoyed his thoughts on optics and other things he posted on his website. 

A big loss to astronomy.

• Like 1

A huge loss. The first thing to say is that he was, quite simply, an extraordinarily nice man. He was so 'available' to the amateur community that, like many others, I met him several times and pestered him with questions which he answered with endless patience.

What a very, very sad blow.

Olly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

A huge loss. The first thing to say is that he was, quite simply, an extraordinarily nice man. He was so 'available' to the amateur community that, like many others, I met him several times and pestered him with questions which he answered with endless patience.

What a very, very sad blow.

Olly

Very true. 

We first met met him at a Peak Star Party in 2010 or 11, where he was excellent at giving encouragement and advice to anyone that came to him. It was notable that he was an enthusiastic camper, despite being in his late 60s by then. 

Subsequently we heard him talk several times, including at Lovell Lectures at his old workplace at Jodrell Bank. He also gave generously of his time to talk to local Astronomical societies, including my own club in November 2022.

I'd noticed that the Jodrell Bank Monthly sky notes hadn't been updated for a while, so I did wonder if he was unwell.

A big loss; his Astronomy Digest posts will be a lasting legacy I hope.

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1

A most likeable fellow.  At weekend astronomy sessions at Preston Hall and Liverpool (forgotten venue), those present received the best of lectures often on cosmology and the like.  At time he was director of Jodrell Bank; our excursions around facilities including the control and back rooms was a privilege never to be repeated.  Astronomy has many notable personalities; he was one

• Like 1

It has been incredibly lovely reading all of your messages. My grandpa passed away this morning surrounded by family and friends.

It is amazing that he inspired so many people, but the best part is hearing how his kindness was abundant not just with me, but for everyone else too.

Of course, we have been blessed with a beautiful moon and clear skies this evening. So my partner and I whipped out the telescope that he gave to us as a present. See attached.

8B56F50B-AF3E-4C2B-8042-A3DCBA9385D3.jpeg

8A66312F-5A2B-4AA9-BD47-5E32FE05B80C.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

I am very fortunate to have met Ian at several Preston Montford SPA  weekends, including last year, bravely despite his health. Incrediblly knowledgeable, but able to converse with everybody, and so willing to advise,. One of science's true gentlemen,  a polymath and communicator.

I too hope his Digest can be preserved with a suitable tribute. My signed copy of his book of Gresham lectures will alwys be treasured. Best of all I have fond memories of time in his company at a telelescope and in the lounge.

• Like 2

Sad to hear this news. I’m particularly fond of Prof Ian’s book Observing and Imaging the Heavens. He had an accessible writing style which makes him seem like a fried providing advice, and I particularly appreciated his interest in hydrogen alpha solar astronomy. For an overall introduction to serious astronomy, I don’t think there’s a better book.  

A big loss to the community. Never had the pleasure to meet him but read much of his writing over the years. A very knowledgeable astronomer who wanted to share that with us all.

Deepest condolences to his family.

On 13/04/2024 at 22:33, DCrilly said:

It has been incredibly lovely reading all of your messages. My grandpa passed away this morning surrounded by family and friends.

It is amazing that he inspired so many people, but the best part is hearing how his kindness was abundant not just with me, but for everyone else too.

Of course, we have been blessed with a beautiful moon and clear skies this evening. So my partner and I whipped out the telescope that he gave to us as a present. See attached.

8B56F50B-AF3E-4C2B-8042-A3DCBA9385D3.jpeg

8A66312F-5A2B-4AA9-BD47-5E32FE05B80C.jpeg

What a beautiful tribute. I can only hope to be held in the esteem you grandfather clearly was, condolences to you and yours.

I have just managed to show these amazing messages to my grandma, and she would like to pass on her thanks.

Reading them have brought back quite a few memories for her, and she is wondering how many of you she may have met herself!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCrilly said:

I have just managed to show these amazing messages to my grandma, and she would like to pass on her thanks.

Reading them have brought back quite a few memories for her, and she is wondering how many of you she may have met herself!

You can be absolutely sure that we all send her our best wishes and condolences.

Olly

I first met Ian Morison at the IoW Star Party in 2011 (I think it was!) and spent many an hour chatting astrophotography in the tea hut whilst we waited for the clouds to [removed word] off.  I also purchased a 12mm Televue eyepiece from him which I still have, cherish and use today.  Lovely views.

I was honoured that he came and stayed with me on his Train Travels to visit the Bluebell Railway a few years back.  My most treasured memory of him was when he kindly took my (very ill) father and I for a private tour round Jodrell Bank about a year before Dad died.  Listening to my father (Dad was an IEEE engineer) and Ian talk about the finer and deeper depths of electronics in the tearoom was lovely to see, and my Dad was buzzing after the tour.  That tour was one of the last times I saw Dad truly happy.  Thank you Ian from the bottom of my heart.

My condolences to the family.

RIP Ian - you will be sorely missed

P.S. Is there any collection or charity we can donate to in his name does anyone know?  I would like to contribute if possible for the times his and my lives coincided.

• Like 3

On 16/04/2024 at 21:49, richiedeepsky said:

P.S. Is there any collection or charity we can donate to in his name does anyone know?  I would like to contribute if possible for the times his and my lives coincided.

Hi.  I'm Chris Morison, Ian Morison's son.

Thanks everyone for your very moving memories of Dad and for your kind thoughts - he was an inspriation to thousands, and also an amazing Father to 3 and Grandfather to 4.

I joined here because I wanted to let you know that Ian's funeral will be held at 2pm on Wednesday 24th April, at All Saints Church, Macclesfield.  You are all welcome.

Thanks @richiedeepsky for wanting to make a donation.  Mum & Dad have said that donations can be made to East Cheshire Hospice @ Home who took great care of Dad and provided support to Mum in recent times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear this.

Ian's website, the Astronomy Digest, was a great resource when I first dipped my toes into AP and tracking. 

All things must end, and when they do, it is the memories you leave behind that are a measure of your worth. RIP Prof.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear.  I attended several of his talks, a really friendly and welcoming bear of a man.  He'd always reply to you if you emailed him.

Edited by kirkster501