Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics UK VX12 - Opinions?

10 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

I wonder if an Orion Optics VX10 might be a good compromise. Even lighter, at 11kg, and cheaper. Plus at F4.8, it may be better for planetary AP, not require an expensive paracorr. Same length as the VX12. Will 2" make a major difference, in uk skies? 

I am not an imager.

As far as I know optical aberrations and distortions appear very clear in imaging. Therefore, I am not convinced that you can get away without a coma corrector.

Aside from this, it is a question of image scale and magnification. Following that, one needs to get a mount which tracks in a very robust manner. Therefore, due to its long focal length, I think an SCT seems more suitable for planetary imaging, whereas a Newtonian could be more suitable for imaging larger objects requiring less magnification.

It would be good to have feedback from imagers.

I had an 1/10th wave OO VX8L mounted on an EQ mount, it did not blow me away visually compared to the 8” Skywatcher Newt that I had. It was lighter and a little better optically but MUCH more expensive.

But both scopes got to some awkward viewing positions and the tripod legs got in the way a lot.

I found my back started complaining after a while so sold them.

Now all my scopes have the eyepiece at the back and I sit to view - much more relaxing and my back thanks me for it.

But Newts do give the best performance to cost ratio.

• Like 1

As I understand it, the OP is looking to do planetary imaging and visual. The AZEQ6 is a robust mount, and in AltAz mode will keep the eyepiece orientated in the same position eg if positioned horizontal and pointing away from the mount it will stay like this and just vary in height, so should not be too much of a problem. With the tripod set low, or on a low pillar the height should be manageable, perhaps needing a small step.

For planetary imaging, although the 12” f5.3 would be preferable, with a Paracorr the f4 should be fine and may not be needed for on axis planetary imaging. It would be needed for observing other larger objects and starfields/clusters etc.

The OO 10” and 12” scopes are the same focal lengths, either 1200 or 1600mm focal length so it’s about the weight and resolution benefits really. The VX10L is a lovely scope, quite lightweight but very capable on planets. Magnus has shown though that the 12 will also work on an AZEQ6 although I think his carbon fibre tube helps with stiffness and likely reduce vibrations from tube flex.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elp said:

You need to speak to @Kon

Although I do not have a VX 10 or 12, I have been extremely happy with my Skywatcher 200P (8") Dob. It is hard work and at time frustrating but you can push it to its limits. These are a few of my manual captures on Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and ISS. I have recently got a 12" GoTo but I have not had good weather to test it properly but I love the fact it keeps the planets at the centre of the camera without nudging it every so often. And, yes it is big compared to my 8".

image.png.9ffd39aede87acf24e8c187757ca9c01.png image.jpeg.a4f48bc8bc07088b5e6f848fc3d1883b.jpeg image.jpeg.4083e7522ef9dfd7be87709a8cd1f2ec.jpegimage.png.4224c4edcac7af22e76be8e22411303a.png

13 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

but I've not found any images I really like that used dobs.

Have a look for Tom Williams at Astrobin, possibly one of the best planetary imagers. He is using a 16" GoTo Dob. Loads of good examples in SGL too with Dobs (most GoTo) so it is a bit unfair to say this. Have a look at the planetary imaging section at SGL from @Space Cowboy who is using a Skywatcher 10" GoTo.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Piero said:

Therefore, I am not convinced that you can get away without a coma corrector.

A CC is only really needed if you need a flat field across the FOV. Often when I used my 130pds for testing purposes I didn't use a coma corrector as the subject was in or near the centre of FOV. For planets you don't need one.

• Like 2

I’ve had an OO VX12 OTA mounted on an iOptron CEM 60 for photography use with a coma corrector. It’s 1/10 wave optics were superb but the scope was just too big even at f4 for me so I ended up selling it. I then got a VX10 with 1/10 wave optics again superb at f4.8 so the same 1200mm fl as the VX12. Sadly at 73 I’m now having to sell the VX10 because of problems getting it on and off the mount when I want to use my RASA.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Although I do not have a VX 10 or 12, I have been extremely happy with my Skywatcher 200P (8") Dob. It is hard work and at time frustrating but you can push it to its limits. These are a few of my manual captures on Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and ISS. I have recently got a 12" GoTo but I have not had good weather to test it properly but I love the fact it keeps the planets at the centre of the camera without nudging it every so often. And, yes it is big compared to my 8".

image.png.9ffd39aede87acf24e8c187757ca9c01.png image.jpeg.a4f48bc8bc07088b5e6f848fc3d1883b.jpeg image.jpeg.4083e7522ef9dfd7be87709a8cd1f2ec.jpegimage.png.4224c4edcac7af22e76be8e22411303a.png

Have a look for Tom Williams at Astrobin, possibly one of the best planetary imagers. He is using a 16" GoTo Dob. Loads of good examples in SGL too with Dobs (most GoTo) so it is a bit unfair to say this. Have a look at the planetary imaging section at SGL from @Space Cowboy who is using a Skywatcher 10" GoTo.

Thanks Kon,

Very impressive photos by the way! 👍

My intention wasn't to be unfair🙂, but rather that I hadn't found any that I liked yet. I was looking for very specific things too, so perhaps I should have made that clear, as I did see lots of good photos taken with dobs, just not within the criteria I was searching for. 

I'll have a look at Tom's photos. 

I would love to see what you can do with that 12 incher! 

Mark

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Thanks Kon,

Very impressive photos by the way! 👍

My intention wasn't to be unfair🙂, but rather that I hadn't found any that I liked yet. I was looking for very specific things too, so perhaps I should have made that clear, as I did see lots of good photos taken with dobs, just not within the criteria I was searching for. 

I'll have a look at Tom's photos. 

I would love to see what you can do with that 12 incher! 

Mark

What will limit you in UK in terms of imaging is the weather and location as planets do not rise high very often. I am envious of friends from mainland Europe with constant good seeing.

Some short of tracking will make your life easier.

• Like 3

Just now, Kon said:

What will limit you in UK in terms of imaging is the weather and location as planets do not rise high very often. I am envious of friends from mainland Europe with constant good seeing.

Some short of tracking will make your life easier.

Hi Kon, 

Indeed. For me, tracking is essential. I've done nudging, and I'm useless at it! 😳

Actually, the photos you took without tracking are simply outstanding! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kon said:

Hi Kon, 

I didn't recognise the name, but as soon as I saw his profile picture, I knew exactly how good his images are. Absolutely top drawer! However, for me the resolution of a 16" dobsonian is beyond my plans. But sure does put a C14 to shame! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Hi Kon, 

I didn't recognise the name, but as soon as I saw his profile picture, I knew exactly how good his images are. Absolutely top drawer! However, for me the resolution of a 16" dobsonian is beyond my plans. But sure does put a C14 to shame! 

Yes hard to miss his images. From what we discussed offline and what you want to do, the seeing will be your major limitation. A summer house in Barbados or Spain will give you the weather you need 😜.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

Impressive. Do you find viewing positions comfortable? 

As configured, with the Berlebach tripod and the more or less balanced optical tube, I observe very comfortably in any position. I have it limited in height to about 75° so that the lower part of the optical tube does not accidentally hit one of the legs of the mount. I have a height of 186 cm.

43 minutes ago, Acrab67 said:

As configured, with the Berlebach tripod and the more or less balanced optical tube, I observe very comfortably in any position. I have it limited in height to about 75° so that the lower part of the optical tube does not accidentally hit one of the legs of the mount. I have a height of 186 cm.

Thanks Acrab67,

What do you do if you really want to see an object near zenith? Can you program the mount not to go higher, in case it accidentally hits the tripod? 

If visual and planetary imaging is your goal have you thought about a go to dobsonian? These will provide you with the full go to and tracking the same as an AZ-EQ6. I have the 10" version which I use for visual, EAA and planetary imaging. I also bought an AZ-EQ6 for another telescope of which I have still to buy once i make my mind up. If you want to seriously consider doing astrophotography then the AZ-EQ6 will be a better bet for the equatorial set up.

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

If visual and planetary imaging is your goal have you thought about a go to dobsonian? These will provide you with the full go to and tracking the same as an AZ-EQ6. I have the 10" version which I use for visual, EAA and planetary imaging. I also bought an AZ-EQ6 for another telescope of which I have still to buy once i make my mind up. If you want to seriously consider doing astrophotography then the AZ-EQ6 will be a better bet for the equatorial set up.

Hi Bosun, 

The aim is to get an az-eq6 which can take the SW 80mm ED for dso, and can handle a scope for visual/planetary AP. If I decided to use a goto dobsonian for the latter, I could switch to a cheaper heq5 for the ed80. But, if I go down the sct route, the az-eq6 would be better. Ideally, if I could trust the quality, I'd go with C9.25 on the az-eq6, and possibly a used Sw120 Ed for quickish visuals. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

Thanks Acrab67,

What do you do if you really want to see an object near zenith? Can you program the mount not to go higher, in case it accidentally hits the tripod? 

If you do not want height limitations, you only have two options. Either you put an extension tube on the mount, which will generate instability, or you raise the tube somewhat and compensate for it with some system of counterweights in the lower area of the tube to keep the system balanced. With both solutions, the position of the focuser would be excessively high for a person of my height. You can select the maximum and minimum lifting height of the mount, nothing more. We are talking about the Berlebach Planet tripod, with a lower one things obviously change.

• Like 1