Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I love my Dob.But !

I have had my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p on a Dob.mount for about a year now. I just sit on a garden chair to do my viewing,I have tried putting the mount on a table but then have a struggle to look through the finder. What is the best way of getting it to the correct height?

I am thinking how I would love a go-to as good clear nights are precious and it is a struggle with the Dob.Is it possible to get another mount with the tube I have got so that I could get a go-to. :icon_rolleyes:

I was so against GOTO scopes for so long, but as you mentioned you get so few clear nights, the last thing you want to do is spend a whole clear night NOT finding things. I came to the conclusion that GOTO was the only way forward!

Setting up a EQ mount with the goto does involve so much more, and you'll need power as well. But for me it was well worth it.

A goto dob might be the solution to the increase in setting up time, but you'll still need the power.

Ant

I reckon you would need an HEQ5 mount for the dobsonian OTA as it's an F/6. The GOTO HEQ5 costs over £700 new so it might be better to think about changing the whole scope for something like this:

Advanced Series GOTO - Celestron Advanced C8-N GT (GOTO)

With regard to seating positions, an ironing stool is often suggested as it has a range of seat heights, some of which are higher than a normal seat is.

Alternatively you could put the whole dobsonian scope on a solid table / stand to raise it to a more comfortable level.

Personally I'd stay with the dob and find a better seat. As you find your way around the sky you will become a much quicker "GOTO" than the computerised versions !.

John

I reckon you would need an HEQ5 mount for the dobsonian OTA as it's an F/6.

I had an 8" f/4 Newtonian on my old HEQ5, and that was close to what i'd consider the comfortable limit for that mount, i'm not sure how well the longer f/6 would work. Might be ok, but I think you'd be pushing it a bit.

I agree with John

I'd also try getting a telrad (got mine from modern astronomy) it's made things much easier to find for me (and free finder charts for messier objects can be found here and caldwell ones here) I wouldn't give up on the dob till your absolutely sure its not for you.

But then I'm biased :icon_rolleyes:

regards,

Alex

It's true we don't have many good nights so why struggle with the weight of a 200mm scope on a EQ mount and all the Go-To niggles and power that seem to take ages to set up.

Once set up and you are observing from your light polluted back garden the goto will find these elusive objects but once you look into the eyepiece they are not visible because you are not at a darker enough site.

So to get to this site you have to lug all your EQ mount, tripod, scope, power supply into your car and drive to a dark site.

My advice would be keep it simple. I bet you can set up your dob in under 10 mins, no need to polar align and start observing almost straight away.

Get your self a adjustable chair, a sturdy box, and a roll mat to stop your knees getting damp. A red torch, star atlas and a telrad finder.

With practise you will observe loads and get to know the sky.

It is a zero magnification finder. You turn it on and it projects 3 bullseye circles onto a screen. I think 4degrees, 2 degrees and a 0.5 degree.

By looking into the glass screen you see the sky with the circles superimposed over the top.

Click on this link it explains how to use one.

Telrad finder

I am sure I'm getting man muscles from lugging my Skywatcher 200p, and bruises on my shins from trying to buffer the jolts as I walk...also I am looking like a EU rejected Banana with a sideways lurch from leaning down into the focuser - and I am SMALL!!! :icon_rolleyes:

Wouldn't trade it for anything else...found the same probs as the OP.

Being a bit handy with wood, I am thinking about making a taller stand with a lazy susan bearing for the base.

We use an adjustable bath stool, which is a good hieght for our dob, for me (5'8") and Eliz (5'1"). As the others have said, it is simple and quick to set up, and we can be watching Saturn within 5 minutes.

I am sure I'm getting man muscles from lugging my Skywatcher 200p, and bruises on my shins from trying to buffer the jolts as I walk...also I am looking like a EU rejected Banana with a sideways lurch from leaning down into the focuser - and I am SMALL!!! :icon_rolleyes:

Wouldn't trade it for anything else...found the same probs as the OP.

Being a bit handy with wood, I am thinking about making a taller stand with a lazy susan bearing for the base.

Why not just make or find a box to go under it?

I have a "go-to" with my dob (I select which object i wanna look at and move the scope to zero in on the coordenants) but the only time I use it is when I fail miseribly when finding the really faint objects. I could personally do without it. I feel guilty when I need to resort to it and I don't get alot of satisfaction when I do use it (not enough effort involved to be proud of)

also, I also find that I get vibrations sometimes if i dont set my scope flat on the solid ground

Archived