Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the point - Bortle?

mikeDnight

1 hour ago, Mircea said:

Bortle is the name of a person who tried to help a bit amateur astronomers. I respect that and I'm grateful to him for that.

Mircea

Yes yes, don’t mistake my attempt at tongue and cheek humor as an attack.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm just grateful people are writing 'Bortle' instead of 'bortle' or worse, 'bortal' :biggrin:

Now we need to get people writing Plössl correctly... :biggrin:

And "Barlow" ... 😉

• Like 2

But surely it's pronounced similar to how it's spelled, the other is another set of letters and intonation entirely. It's not like the mix up you get pronouncing UK towns. You don't pronounce bet or better as bee-t or bee-tter do you.

Edited by Elp

30 minutes ago, Elp said:

But surely it's pronounced similar to how it's spelled, the other is another set of letters and intonation entirely. It's not like the mix up you get pronouncing UK towns. You don't pronounce bet or better as bee-t or bee-tter do you.

That'd be an "Americanism" pure and simple , I'm sure they mispronounce our language just for the hell of it ... 😄

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

That'd be an "Americanism" pure and simple , I'm sure they mispronounce our language just for the hell of it ... 😄

I'd love to know if the reason so many on CN spell Baader 'Badder' is that they just don't hear the long 'a' in their heads when they read the name.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Envelope is one which annoys a lot, pronounced on-ve-lope. Where does the O come from?!?

17 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Heck yes.  Now go take your VITE-ah-mins.  😉

Beetlejuice is easy to remember, and being being a combo of two other common words less of a dyslexical nightmare, To speel the real word needs looking up, copy, paste. plava to avoid an error and chastisement by pedants ! Whereas Beetlejuice is an obvious attempt at humour as is this post ! Anyhows I am neither an Arab nor an ancient Latin so I dont bother with correct possessives and genders neiver.

On 28/02/2024 at 11:13, Steve Ward said:

And "Barlow" ... 😉

And 'Hoover', 'Biro', 'Sandwich', 'Wellington',  'Shrapnel', 'Algorithm', Diesel' and of course 'Cardigan' 🙄

Edited by Tiny Clanger
adding 'Diesel' to the flames

5 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

and  say soder when they are solderng their electrical bits 

That's what I say when a drop falls of the iron and onto my hand lol

• Like 1

Saying that Bortle 5 is "suburban sky" is just plain daft. I can tell you that I lived in suburban London in Ruislip and would have cheerfully murdered for Bortle 5 skies! In the end I moved house and got mid Bortle 3

Also, saying that the centre of the Milky Way casts shadows in Bortle 1 is equally daft, since the centre of the Milky Way barely makes it out of the horizon murk even from the South Coast here.

• Like 4

I don't think Bortle meant his scale to be the end-all-be-all, but rather a relative scale for quick approximations.  IIRC, he wrote that himself on Cloudy Nights or somewhere.  Or more simply, 8 is substantially worse than 4, etc.

More objectively, there's MPAS, SQM, and probably other alphabet soup to use.