Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing between 4" ED Refractors for visual

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I have used the Starfield on all the various modalities of the EQ5 mount. For plonk and point it's better to mark the points of the tripod legs on the ground making it quicker and easier for subsequent setups. When I used the tracking motors without go to I found that just getting Polaris in the polar scope FOV was sufficient for a nights observing. I placed three golf tees in the grass marking the tripod legs. I however seem to be a bit of an outlier in that I love go to. If set up correctly it works every time and allows me to spend the saved time at the eyepiece.

I've not got on with it so far.  I suspect that part of that is I was the azgti trying to point a 130pds.  It's pretty much on the limit of the mount.

I'm definitely going to give the gem28 a try though as I've heard good things.  It'll also fit in the workflow pretty well.  The 130pds lived in the shed so was already at ambient.  The refractor lives in the house for now so will need to acclimate, which will be time to setup the polar alignment.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 23:34, quasar117 said:

Thanks!

I'll have a think and let you know as I'm decided between either a Telrad or Baader skysurfer III.

Telrad's are excellent, but they are just about the ugliest finder design ever devised, and all plastic. They look ok on Dob's but not on an elegant refractor. Just saying!  The Baader on the other hand is an all metal construction and more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I love the look of an optical finder on a refractor. They look more aerodynamic!  Nuts I know!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Telrad's are excellent, but they are just about the ugliest finder design ever devised, and all plastic. They look ok on Dob's but not on an elegant refractor. Just saying!  The Baader on the other hand is an all metal construction and more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I love the look of an optical finder on a refractor. They look more aerodynamic!  Nuts I know!!

The Skysurfer III is plastic, the IV is the metal one.

I use optical finders on my refractors (mostly) as well 🙂

• Like 2

SS III is poorly constructed. The based of mine broke off soon after first use and needed glue.

SS V much better engineered but bulky. I find no real advantage over a proper finderscope - a straight through inverted one for preference.

• Like 3

I agree the diff between SS III and SS V - the SS V is really quite a nice bit of kit IMO. Doesn't dew up either.

I DO find an advantage to an RDF (over a magnified finder) where i only want to quickly align a push to (point at bright star with RDF >> centre star in EP >> press Ok).

On the other hand while I enjoy a magnified finder for really finding, for quick alignment - I'm not sure why i get confused - but there are too many stars in view to be quick and sure using one. Probably speaks badly for my map reading...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

SS III is poorly constructed. The based of mine broke off soon after first use and needed glue.

I had a different experience a couple of months ago: bashed my SS III on a door jamb carrying a setup through, the finder fell to the floor.

What actually broke was the tiny screws holding the skywatcher shoe to the rubbish metal of the skywatcher - they ripped out of their holes. The Baader not only survived the bash and the fall onto a hard floor completely unscathed, but when I got new screws and re-installed the finder shoe, the SS III hardly needed any collimation.

• Like 2

Traditional finders are useless if you have a lot of LP. Even with a 50mm I'm lucky to see mag 7 stars... My Baader works perfectly and I've never had any problems with it.

I use the Baader as a pointer, then an eyepiece as finder. Depending on what diagonal I'm using, the 42mm gives 3.7° and the 30mm 2.8°. The RDF is actually accurate enough to point with much smaller eyepieces.

• Like 2

The skysurfer V is the best RDF I have used, and I have tried them all! from telrad to Televue to celestron skypointers (don’t ever get that one) etc. it is built for business, is a pleasure to use and has never dewed up on me when all else has. If you can soend the extra coin don’t hesitate.

3E1D92BA-7450-490F-80A2-61CDFFD10D98.jpeg

• Like 2