Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I hand made a Dobsonian telescope. Hope you like it :-)

GasGiant

Hi folks

Telescopes have long interested me from an engineering point of view, there is just something inherently 'cool' about how they look. Well, I think so anyway 😀

In my spare time I make things in metal. Mechanical things that interest me or I find visually appealing.  I have a small workshop with a lathe, a mill and a couple of laser cutters as well as the usual hand tools etc 

I decided to have stab at scope model. Loosely based around a Dob, I whittled away kinda freestyling it with no real 'design' as such.

Everything is fabricated from bar stock. The truss rods are carbon fibre, I forget why I had it but its perfect for the model.  The scope moves up and down and swivels of course though I cant see much down the eyepiece, maybe it needs collimating 🤣

Anyway. here is the result. Im pleased as punch with it.

Carl 

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (1).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (2).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (3).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (4).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (5).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (6).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (7).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (8).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (9).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (10).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (11).jpg

dobsonian telescope model by carl evans  (12).jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Thank you guys, very kind. ☺️

@Mr H in Yorkshire  It took about three-ish days. Started Thursday and finished yesterday. Id like to find a small round mirror and plop it in the bottom but apart from that its done.

20240111_170830.jpg

20240111_133700.jpg

20240111_130740.jpg

Edited by GasGiant
  • Like 6

You could simulate a mirror with a piece of cooking foil carefully smoothed out, or get an inspection tooI, I have one, a small mirror on a handle, but the  mirror is about 1" so maybe too big? As the model is metal, why not a disk of stainless steel with a good polish. At least you can machine that to fit.

Edited by Mr H in Yorkshire

Very nice @GasGiant! 👍😊 I really love scaled models! This dob is really good and nicely done! 

42 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

You could simulate a mirror with a piece of cooking foil carefully smoothed out, or get an inspection tooI, I have one, a small mirror on a handle, but the  mirror is about 1" so maybe too big? As the model is metal, why not a disk of stainless steel with a good polish. At least you can machine that to fit.

I also made a dob, but with waste. For that I used an old bicycle mirror.

I have got Wrong here down with the Quotes😁

IMG_20240110_181307.thumb.jpg.4cb99523576a2c0438293091a3a3029a.jpg

Edited by Nikolai De Silva

15 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Fantastic and looks superb. As far as I’m concerned there should be more of this kind of thing. Maybe even a model telescope challenge on this site 🤔 

That's a good idea! Can't we really have one?🤔

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

If the quality of that model is anything to go by I can't wait to see the full size Dob! What aperture will it be?

Probably 8"   

• Like 1

Beautiful piece of work, 3D printing is great but I can’t warm to them like I can machine tools.

On the subject of models, here is my very crude, hastily crafted 1:1 scale model of a Mesu 200. Why on earth? I wanted a second hand flight case for it, and as it is an irregular shape I took the model to the shop to check it would fit in the case.

IMG_1395.thumb.jpeg.826e19ae6b26df2245c860388d666cc9.jpeg

• Like 2