Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher EQ-AL55I PRO Go-To Astronomy Mount

FLO

Just wondering what market segment this is targeted at, the area is already crowded for Skywatcher the EQM-35 pro seems only £100 less and virtually identical capacity and in fact the EQM-35 has more teeth on he RA axis while using stepper motors. 

Has me scratching my head wondering what SW had in mind. Perhaps I am missing something obvious. 

Adam

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

Just wondering what market segment this is targeted at, the area is already crowded for Skywatcher the EQM-35 pro seems only £100 less and virtually identical capacity and in fact the EQM-35 has more teeth on he RA axis while using stepper motors. 

Has me scratching my head wondering what SW had in mind. Perhaps I am missing something obvious. 

Adam

I’m with you AdamJ. Other than a moveable counterweight I cannot see the point. Personally I’d just drop a telescope leg a tad. 

On 15/12/2023 at 12:57, Space Oddities said:

Looks like a nice mount! :) 

But for the life of me, why do they keep selling these saddles that will drill holes in all your dovetails? It's 2023, you can't do that anymore!

That is not a major worry for me, I don't need my dove tails to look pretty. If its digging into it then its secure. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

Looks like a mechanically downgraded EQ5 (based on its RA/DEC teeth number & servo motor spec) with a dual position counterweight bar and built-in wifi. Honestly ppl are better off with the regular EQ5 + the new shorter extension pier or HEQ5 if higher payload required.

Edited by KP82
  • Like 3

Harmonic mounts are great but not cheap. The AL55i may be all I need for EQ tracking for my small refractors and C6, with the added bonus of AZ operation too.

Edited by Ags

On 22/12/2023 at 17:12, KP82 said:

Looks like a mechanically downgraded EQ5 (based on its RA/DEC teeth number & servo motor spec) with a dual position counterweight bar and built-in wifi. Honestly ppl are better off with the regular EQ5 + the new shorter extension pier or HEQ5 if higher payload required.

Not sure on this. Doesn't the EQ5 also have 144 RA teeth? The EQM-35 has more.

Not sure how much of an issue the servo motors are. The AVX also uses servos and seems well-respected.

Half the weight of a HEQ5PRO head though! I've been using an AZGTi for years, so had quite forgotten about physical hand controllers...

I am scanning for reviews of this mount but so far nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/12/2023 at 08:50, Ags said:

Not sure on this. Doesn't the EQ5 also have 144 RA teeth? The EQM-35 has more.

Not sure how much of an issue the servo motors are. The AVX also uses servos and seems well-respected.

Last time I read the specs of the EQ5 Pro the RA teeth was 180. Or maybe SW have updated the info to 144 and the previous specs was wrong.

Servo is fine. Even the Losmandy G11 uses servo motors albeit higher quality ones I suppose. But for a budget mount I'd prefer stepper over servo tbh.

Not sure how much value I can add in a review. I will post my thoughts., but I will only be ordering the mount next month.

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2024 at 22:05, Ags said:

Not sure how much value I can add in a review. I will post my thoughts., but I will only be ordering the mount next month.

am also interested, the main point is backlash on the Dec and guiding RMS and max errors.