NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New setup and first images

I pulled the trigger on a complete starter set up, and whilst I was learning the equipment and software, somehow managed to grab a few (very) quick images of a couple of easy targets; M31 and the Heart nebula. These shots were more about learning a workflow and getting my head around the gear, but I had two nights of semi clear skies, so took a chance to grab some shots.

I'm under a Bortle 5 sky, and used a ZWO duo narrowband duel filter on my 533MC Pro. 

M31 was shot first on 30th November, and was 60 x 120 seconds exposures. I hadn't worked out how to do guiding at this point, so kept the exposures short. I took the darks, and flats and dark flats the next day. I processed it all in Affinity Photo using James Ritson's Macros and the StarXterminator plugin.

The Heart nebula was 15 x 180 seconds and 1 x 300 second exposure (this time I was just learning the skills of auto guiding), shot on 2nd December and again, calibration frames shot the next day.

All processed in Affinity Photo, but I tried JR OSC to Mono macro, just to try and get a bit more colour out of all that red!

Now I'm just waiting for clear Skies!

I have a long way to go, but this is my first tentative steps, so any advice always welcome.

M31-60x120v3_sans sig.jpg

Heart Nebula v2_sans Sig.jpg

Edited by Webby-962
Typo correction
  • Like 9