NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Redcat 51 camera choice?

I've recently bought a Redcat 51 from Flo (awaiting delivery), this is to replace my Megrez 72 which I've sold to a friend (including pretty much the entire content of my remote observatory). Been looking at the ccd_suitability website and according to it, the ZWO183 series (I'm mono) is a "perfect" match due to the 2.4um pixel size of the camera and scope specs. My observatory is in a bortle 4 zone.

Now I've read 100's of post on CN and SG about under~over sampling / redcat / pixel size etc... and I cannot make my mind up about which camera to take really. Not planning any upgrade after the Redcat so the camera must be a good match as I won't change that either.

Having said all of that, from reading all these threads, apparently a small pixel camera will require excellent optics and excellent tracking (my new mount is a CEM25p).

I'm ready to splash out the really hard earned cash on the ASI6200MM-P  ASI2600MM-P if needed. It has 3.76um pixels 91% QE zero amp glow etc... I mean the specs are great. I also have the feeling that the moment I buy the ZWO183mm a new one will replace it and will have zero amp glow and other goodies...

So, pixel size, I know they are important but 2.4 vs 3.76 for a Redcat 51, will it be a night & day difference?

I'm open to suggestions please (also considering QHY too, it's slightly cheaper)

{couldn't find the right sub forum so I picked this one, feel free to move the topic, I'm not starting in imaging ;) ...}

Edited by Gonzo
wong camera

If you would like to play some other number calculations, what about the ASI294MM-Pro with its hardware un-binning? Sorry - ZWO call it Unlocked Bin 1.

From the FLO website:

Unlocked Bin1: 12bit ADC, 2.3um pixel size, 47 megapixels, 8288*5644 resolution, 14k full well capacity.
Bin2 (The default mode): 14bit ADC, 4.6um pixel size, 11.7 megapixels, 4144*2822 resolution, 66k full well capacity.

[by the way did you mean ASI2600MM-P rather than 6200?]

Edited by Avocette

yes ASI2600MM-P as for the ASI294MM-Pro I also looked at this one but the "unlocked" feature it goes down to 12 bits and the full well isn't great, the larger pixel could also be a potential issue with the Redcat, maybe?

22 hours ago, Gonzo said:

yes ASI2600MM-P as for the ASI294MM-Pro I also looked at this one but the "unlocked" feature it goes down to 12 bits and the full well isn't great, the larger pixel could also be a potential issue with the Redcat, maybe?

I have the 294MM, and until recently was using it to image with an Evoguide 50 (pretty much same focal length as redcat). It may just have been my lack of skill (in both capture and processing!), but I found the data from the unlocked mode to be very noisy, even with many hours of integration time.

In it's native (bin2) mode it's much better, and l got a couple of fairly pleasing widefield images, but obviously you then lose resolution.

In short, l personally wouldn't recommend the 294MM if your intention was to image solely, or primarily, with the unlocked mode. 

From looking at the 294MM specs, probably a good camera if you own two scopes with different focal lengths.

I've compared the 2600 vs 183 in the ccd FOV tool, the 2600 will be too large. The more I look into it, the more I lean towards the 183. Sure it's an "older" CMOS... but it's proven to work nicely.

The 183 might be "old" but some can get some pretty good results with it ... https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/599475-sony-imx183-mono-test-thread-asi-qhy-etc/

ZWO183MM-Pro £947 (QHY / £980) ~ ZWO2600MM-Pro £2389 (QHY / £2094)

Interesting to see the the QHY183 is more expensive while the QHY268 is almost £300 cheaper than the ZWO

• 6 months later...

I have a Redcat 51 and use the ASI 1600mm Pro to take advantage of the wide and flat  field of view offered by this beautiful OTA…

I did consider the ASI 183mm Pro to get better resolution and detail but then you pay the price of a cropped  image…

Its a decision between widefield or more detail really…

To be honest I’ve had great results with the 1600mm Pro and the Redcat 51 (see below) 

I have an Esprit 100ed and 2600mm Pro for detailed and ‘closer’ Astrophotography so I guess it wouldn’t make sense to use the Redcat with the 183mm Pro for me…

Hope that helps…

Recat 51/ASI 1600mm Pro… Optolong 6.5nm  Ha …

569AF284-E381-4813-923E-D79AC1C2970D.jpeg