NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece comparison

Franklin

6 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hey Dave. Trust you are all good fella ??  Yes. The focus option on the Maxbrights are a complete winner aren't they. I'm hopeful the SV zooms will work nicely. I've really no idea what sort of magnification they will provide if used without any GPC. You may have done the math - I have not !!  The eyepiece pairs I have   ( 20mm and 15 mm ) are used in a way that give the best view to me rather than actual size. Detail soon drops away as everyone knows. I have got a 1.7x GPC that I do use as well but I'm sure that will be a crazy mag level through the FS 128 with these zooms in place. 

I had to join the Black Friday SVBony zoom train, as too good an offer as I've seen for quite a while. Good reports too on here as well. Be funny to know how many units they have shifted just to SGL members over the last 10 days or so. 🤣

I will update once I get outside under a clear sky. My comments will be rather short and sweet. I do not consider myself any sort of expert when it comes to reviews and alike. Much rather read a few posts on here from chaps who know their mustard.

As noted by a few on here. The zooms seem to be a well made item for sure. The FL adjustment seem solid and will hopefully work in tandem once in the BV's. The diopter adjustment on the Maxbrights will correct for any slight misalignment. 

ATB   John 

Hi John 

If you're using the zooms natively, ie with no OCS, I would think you should get close to native magnification..if I'm correct the maximum magnification will be your scopes' Focal length 1040mm divided by the 3mm maximumzoom setting giving you c 346x - well within the Taks' capabilities on good nights. 

If  you use the OCS 1.7x it should have a range of between c 226x (8mm) and 590x (3mm).

Your scopes' manual says that up to 100x per inch is posssible under optimum conditions...😂

Good luck!

Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi John 

If you're using the zooms natively, ie with no OCS, I would think you should get close to native magnification..if I'm correct the maximum magnification will be your scopes' Focal length 1040mm divided by the 3mm maximumzoom setting giving you c 346x - well within the Taks' capabilities on good nights. 

If  you use the OCS 1.7x it should have a range of between c 226x (8mm) and 590x (3mm).

Your scopes' manual says that up to 100x per inch is posssible under optimum conditions...😂

Good luck!

Dave

Dave. This all sounds good 👍. If the zooms work out as expected I was thinking of moving the OCS on but 590x magnification with the 3mm setting has to be worth a go - lol 🤣🤣🤣 

Thx  John 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Ta - Daa !!  Arrived yesterday with the return of the clouds. 
Looking to try in my Maxbright BV’s and Tak FS128. No GPC. Thought was worth a try. If not workout, I can pass one forward.   John  IMG_3474.thumb.jpeg.45ee5a03ac7f43f75ee3cd7086573b23.jpeg

John 

I  have used mine in a few sessions now and I really like it  so have considered using a pair of them.  It is quite impressive regardless of its price, so I too await your thoughts on using a pair of them.......👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A minor thing, but the lens cap on the Svbony zoom is designed for the rubber eyecup to be folded DOWN, after which it fits perfectly. In view of the tight eye relief, that's probably best anyway.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 2

I’ve had my Svbony 3-8 zoom since the summer. I’m ill qualified to provide a detailed assessment, but I’d say in summary:

It’s very convenient in a portable setup. Feedback from zoom mechanism is positive and operation fluid. Views are good quality.

On bright objects, in poor conditions, I occasionally get a reflection from my own eye (I think). Not quite as good as my ES 82s.

Eyepiece cap is really awful 🤣

I think this falls into the “almost as good as” bracket, in that it’s almost as good as [insert premium eyepiece brand here]. It’s great for the price and would heartily recommend it to all but hardcore optics aficionados 😊

• Like 2

I will be very interested to see how it performs in my ZS73. I've really grown to like the APM Superzoom, especially for travelling, and it covers decent range of powers, but without a barlow I can only get 56x with the ZS73. I'm hoping the svbony zoom will make up the shortfall. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, inedible_hulk said:

I’ve had my Svbony 3-8 zoom since the summer. I’m ill qualified to provide a detailed assessment, but I’d say in summary:

It’s very convenient in a portable setup. Feedback from zoom mechanism is positive and operation fluid. Views are good quality.

On bright objects, in poor conditions, I occasionally get a reflection from my own eye (I think). Not quite as good as my ES 82s.

Eyepiece cap is really awful 🤣

I think this falls into the “almost as good as” bracket, in that it’s almost as good as [insert premium eyepiece brand here]. It’s great for the price and would heartily recommend it to all but hardcore optics aficionados 😊

Agree with all the above. I've noticed reflections when looking at Jupiter.

• Like 1

Afternoon all. First chance I've had to update following use of 2x SV 8-3 zoom EP's in my Tak FS 128 with MB11 binoviewers. All has gone well. Viewing conditions not the best by a long way last night (Tuesday - PM )

Got outside  to watch a GRS transit approx 7 pm ish.  Nice views when the atmosphere steadied up. Not the best of skies but what’s new. Hopefully next session will give up more detail ??!!  The EP's are nice to use. The click stops are nice and sharp compared with a SVBony 10-30 zoom I have. Once combined with the diopter adjustment  on the BV's I was able to play around with the magnification and focusing. No OSC in use.  Decided I will keep the pair. 

Hope everyone else who has bought one of these has success in it's use.  Very much worth the price, Black Friday in my case and I've seen quite a few doing the same on the forum. 

Regards   John  

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 4