Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have been very unfair to the SW 200P

I bought this telescope around the time of Covid in 2020 for a measly £296 brand new. After a few nights of bad seeing during an opposition of Mars, some nights it was poorly acclimated and some nights suffering from poor local conditions, I started to fall out of love with it and moved on to smaller refractors, both achros and apos.

It’s been a little unloved since then, and when I’ve compared the fracs to it I’ve always preferred the aesthetics of the refractors. Using it tonight in really sub-optimal conditions it has really proved its worth; surprising really as it was nights like this when I’d look out and not think it worth taking the dob outside. 

I think I’ve been pretty unfair and probably too impatient with it, I’ve read so many times about the benefits of aperture yet I’ve nearly always reached for my smaller scopes. Have to be honest, the detail I’ve seen on Jupiter tonight is far more than I’ve ever seen with my premium 3” & 4” APOs. Pretty amazing for a mass produced Dobsonian with generic optics, although I have added a classy Lacerta microfocuser - I couldn’t live without one of those on a f5.9 scope.

I've known the 200P has been my best lunar scope, maybe I’m coming round to the idea that it’s also my best planetary scope. It ain’t my best star or doubles scope though… 😝

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, IB20 said:

I bought this telescope around the time of Covid in 2020 for a measly £296 brand new. After a few nights of bad seeing during an opposition of Mars, some nights it was poorly acclimated and some nights suffering from poor local conditions, I started to fall out of love with it and moved on to smaller refractors, both achros and apos.

It’s been a little unloved since then, and when I’ve compared the fracs to it I’ve always preferred the aesthetics of the refractors. Using it tonight in really sub-optimal conditions it has really proved its worth; surprising really as it was nights like this when I’d look out and not think it worth taking the dob outside. 

I think I’ve been pretty unfair and probably too impatient with it, I’ve read so many times about the benefits of aperture yet I’ve nearly always reached for my smaller scopes. Have to be honest, the detail I’ve seen on Jupiter tonight is far more than I’ve ever seen with my premium 3” & 4” APOs. Pretty amazing for a mass produced Dobsonian with generic optics, although I have added a classy Lacerta microfocuser - I couldn’t live without one of those on a f5.9 scope.

I've known the 200P has been my best lunar scope, maybe I’m coming round to the idea that it’s also my best planetary scope. It ain’t my best star or doubles scope though… 😝

That's an interesting contrast to another live thread, where the consensus seemed to be that smaller refractors outperform larger reflectors in iffy conditions.

31 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

That's an interesting contrast to another live thread, where the consensus seemed to be that smaller refractors outperform larger reflectors in iffy conditions.

It was hazy cloud/mist rather than seeing. Seeing was quite good and steady. In windy conditions or poor seeing the dob can be pretty frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

It was hazy cloud/mist rather than seeing. Seeing was quite good and steady. In windy conditions or poor seeing the dob can be pretty frustrating.

The best planetary observing conditions I've found is when there's a light mist forming. The air has to be incredibly still for this to occur resulting in excellent seeing. Also reinforced by Damian Peach.

• Like 5

I bought an "as new" Skywatcher "Classic" 200P dob recently and, now I've tweaked it a little, it is proving an excellent performer. I owned one many years back but I had forgotten how good these things are.

I bought mine to get a bit of aperture again after selling my 12 inch dob earlier in the year but I've found the 200P dob good pretty at the high magnification stuff as well. 

Edited by John
  • Like 5

The nice thing about these reflectors (on whatever mount) is they can be easily improved.
Provided it arrived with a reasonable mirror, everything else can be improved with little effort.
No special tools and no great skills needed. flocking, edge black, adjust dob base, sort focusser, etc.

I have owned quite a few reflectors in the 200 to 300mm range and enjoyed both viewing and improving.

• Like 5

Very capable scopes. I must get my 8” f8 out again soon, it’s not been out in months and it blew the socks off my FL102S on Mars in terms of detail. Jupiter should be excellent too.

I love the views through refractors, and use them far more than other scopes I’ve got due to convenience and their grab and go nature, but am fully aware of the benefits of aperture when seeing conditions permit.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dave34 said:

I loved my 200p dob, sold it due to the neck ache i always got , miss the scope, not the ache.

1st thing I did with my newly acquired 200P dob was to put a 9x50 RACI finder on it 🙂

• Like 2

These 8" scopes are excellent. I had superb views of Jupiter last night. The level of details on the bands were probably the best I had seen. I agree on the RACI. I am going to fit one to my scope as I am sure it will be an ideal upgrade.

• Like 1