Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW ARRIVAL - ASKAR 103 TRIPLET - UPDATED NOV 4TH - FIRST LIGHT.

I was in the market for a four inch refractor mainly for visual use. So why did I buy this one?

When I've had it a while I'll write a full review.  So if your wondering,  you'll have to wait to find out why I bought a triplet rather than one of the many fine doublets  with an FPL53 and Lanthanum element such as the Tecnosky, Starfield, Altair etc.

It only arrived today, but its certainly a striking looking and we'll made scope with a 3.5inch R&P focuser, detachable tube section, x2 fitted finder feet, a handle to which further finders or other equipment can be fitted and a rotating  (graduated) image facility.  It also comes with a nice zippered soft carrying case.

The new 103 triplet and the 120 triplet are tested at FLO on an optical bench before dispatch as all the Askar triplets/lenses are.  This is reassuring when an optic is new to the market and  not yet in the hands of many customers

I did point the scope outside through a double glazed window and looked at fine detail on trees, branches and lovely autumn colour leaves against the sky.  Using a Morpheus 17.5 and ES 24/68 the sharpness of fine detail  was excellent, and no unwanted colour that I could see.  Rain stopped me going outside.  All good signs prior to testing on the night sky.

Nov 2nd.  Lens Pic added, plus paperwork.  OK Mike? 😅

20231101_104109.thumb.jpg.841c90a0c2a0b98eed40ad40f0a455ec.jpg

20231101_104409.thumb.jpg.ce70316455e46308b79b9584b457776d.jpg

20231101_105549.thumb.jpg.4b267bbce411611e76f876efe811e849.jpg

20231101_110001.thumb.jpg.984a6303e002bed8bd765a3a50e30ff3.jpg

20231101_110104.thumb.jpg.41403286b62c75ea9b6616e6ce238180.jpg

20231102_113655.thumb.jpg.25164f37105528146fa433139603fd6f.jpg

Here you are Mike 😊

20231102_113413.thumb.jpg.1fafc2cb06feaf4d1191f383879ca335.jpg

20231102_115328.thumb.jpg.5fe07962e52366f2d7b7293c26211194.jpg

NOV 4TH FIRST LIGHT.  Had some brief clear patches between 2.30-3.30 when it clouded completely.  Conditions variable cloud and good to poor seeing.

This is only brief as I'll do a fuller review after a few sessions, which may take a while because of the poor weather.

1. I didn't do any serious star testing, but out of focus the stars were perfectly round, and in focus nice tight sharp images against a very black and contrast background when there were no intervening clouds. Used an ES 24/68 series and Baader Mk111 zoom.

2 Jupiter exceeded expectations as the seeing was better than I expected at times.  Four/five belts very contrast and sharp, good detail including the shadow of Europa at around 3.10.  A good enough view that eases any concerns I had that it may not be as good as with a FPL53/Lanthanum doublet.  I could not recall seeing better in the Tecnosky when I observed with it.  Very pleasing.  Used Baader Mk1 binoviewer, x2 18mm Baader Orthos, x2 Celestron X-Cel LX barlow and Baader Contrast Booster for both Jupiter and the 61.4% illuminated Moon.

3  Moon.  In better moments as good as I can recall in any doublet - verging on that fluorite look in the best moments.

Future testing will involve some comparison tests.  Includes a comparison with Mike's Tak DZ when we can arrange it.

If anyone has any questions that can't wait until testing is complete send a PM and I'll answer if I can.

Edited by paulastro
Pics added
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

It looks fantastic Paul!  What a great package with that fabulous case. I like the look of that rotator on the focuser too, which I imagine will be a joy to use with your binoviewer attached. Shame about that dust speck between the finder dovetail clamps. 😅 Can't wait for a clear spell so I can come and play. Do we get a lens pic', or do you have to buy that seperately? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It looks fantastic Paul!  What a great package with that fabulous case. I like the look of that rotator on the focuser too, which I imagine will be a joy to use with your binoviewer attached. Shame about that dust speck between the finder dovetail clamps. 😅 Can't wait for a clear spell so I can come and play. Do we get a lens pic', or do you have to buy that seperately? 

I'll take a lens pic tomorrow, especially for you  Mike 😊.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great looking scope. Congratulations Paul 🙂

It seems to be gaining a reputation as a "3 in 1" scope: visual mono, visual binoviewer friendly and imaging too.

Look forward to performance reports on it 👍

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Fantastic looking piece of kit!

I'm on the market for a 4" visual scope myself in this price bracket, and having looked at a few second-hand ones I've decided to buy new like you it is a toss-up between the Starfield and the Askar, I'm sat on my hands rocking
forwards and backward praying for clear skies your way! 😁

Congratulations, every member loves a guinea pig when it comes to new astro tackle. 🧐

Cheers
Guy

• Like 1

• paulastro changed the title to NEW ARRIVAL - ASKAR 103 TRIPLET - UPDATED NOV 2ND
10 hours ago, John said:

Great looking scope. Congratulations Paul 🙂

It seems to be gaining a reputation as a "3 in 1" scope: visual mono, visual binoviewer friendly and imaging too.

Look forward to performance reports on it 👍

Thanks John.  It does seem it has the potential to satisfy all of these requirements.  I read a good review on u-tube which compared it's imaging capability against three other four inch scopes and to me it seemed to do all right, and I think the others were all more expensive.  This is it, sorry haven't got a link.

20231030_194206.thumb.jpg.f783d1199b9cc8185c6b48c6895c5924.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coco said:

Fantastic looking piece of kit!

I'm on the market for a 4" visual scope myself in this price bracket, and having looked at a few second-hand ones I've decided to buy new like you it is a toss-up between the Starfield and the Askar, I'm sat on my hands rocking
forwards and backward praying for clear skies your way! 😁

Congratulations, every member loves a guinea pig when it comes to new astro tackle. 🧐

Cheers
Guy

Thank Guy, and good luck - it took ages for me to make my mind up between the two.  I set the standard in my mind that if it's at least equal in terms of optics to the Starfield etc ( I used to have the Tecnosky version pre Starfield launch) then I'll be more than happy.  For me the Askar has several useful features I particularly wanted, particularly multiple mounting points for finder and other kit, a handle, binoviewer friendly etc.  It will be very Starsense Explorer friendly which is important to me.

In terms of fit and finish I'm delighted with the Askar, though I'm aware the Starfield is very good too of course.

If weight is important to you, note the Askar is heavier, though it was within my requirements.

Looking forward to first light to see it's night time capability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Have they specified what type of glass the ED lens is yet? I was also looking at this scope but my Starfield does everything I ask of it well so no need to change it. The 120 is also catching my eye.

I'm not aware of them  specifying it,  certainly not in anything I've seen.  Though I would of course pass it on, its not something I'm personally bothered about.  I wouldn't care if I never knew - as you know, there are many other factors involved.  I'll make up my mind as to its quality when I've had some sessions observing with it under different conditions.  Mind you, this could be a long time if the weather doesn't change 🙂.

Unless the Askar would somehow improve your observing experience in some way, I'd just keep the Starfield if I were you.  Though a 120 would be good if you really need it 😅.

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I'm not aware of them  specifying it,  certainly not in anything I've seen.  Though I would of course pass it on, its not something I'm personally bothered about.  I wouldn't care if I never knew - as you know, there are many other factors involved.  I'll make up my mind as to its quality when I've had some sessions observing with it under different conditions.  Mind you, this could be a long time if the weather doesn't change 🙂.

Unless the Askar would somehow improve your observing experience in some way, I'd just keep the Starfield if I were you.  Though a 120 would be good if you really need it 😅.

Yes I agree 100%. Looking forward to your first light.

• Like 1

• paulastro changed the title to NEW ARRIVAL - ASKAR 103 TRIPLET - UPDATED NOV 4TH - FIRST LIGHT.

I've updated the original post to include a brief first light report from observations during the early hours of Nov 4th.

The Askar on the AZ5 Altaz mount.  The folded paper wrapped round the dovetail is to protect it from being scratched, until I install a permanent fix.

20231103_170731.thumb.jpg.a37f63a5602d473c666749a43b872f47.jpg

20231103_170431.thumb.jpg.6e7ddaf3a0f11ba607b4b2027e54ec2a.jpg

Edited by paulastro
Two pics added.
  • Like 3

I am not Jealous at all, lovely scope if and when I sell the 10" I am looking to get a 5" I already have a 4" with the Tal and the Celestron C102 a friend has lent me which considering how old it is I have had some really great views through. I do miss my 5" though I should never have sold it.

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I am not Jealous at all, lovely scope if and when I sell the 10" I am looking to get a 5" I already have a 4" with the Tal and the Celestron C102 a friend has lent me which considering how old it is I have had some really great views through. I do miss my 5" though I should never have sold it.

You can always buy the 103's sibling, the Askar 120 triplet.  A clone of the 103, but bigger  and £500 more I think. 🙂.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1