Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you use zwo asiair mini with a Canon eos 60d

Hi, Can any one tell me please if you can just use a dslr camera, which is a Canon eos 60d with the ZWO asiair mini and how would you  connect it. And do you need to sync it.  Also will you be able to  plate solving and pola aline, or would I need to have a guidscope. I will be using a ioptron skyguider pro, so just a startracker for this.

Tim

Yes the ASIAir & Canon DSLR will work together and after a quick google of the mount you mention that would work too. The DSLR would connect via a usb lead and the ASIAir will let you switch between using the camera for PA and then for imaging.

Search google for 'asiair ioptron skyguider pro' and some YouTube hits appear as well as posts on cloudynights.

If you check ZWOs product page you'll see it's supported:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/asiair-mini/

Likely your Canon has an AV control usb mini connection, you'd need a usb mini to usb A cable, but note with my 600d it took until the third cable for it to work properly, something I think to do with the cable needing a data line and not just power. My Sony connected with the first cable I used.

• 1 month later...

I was able to connect my ASIAIR mini with my Canon 1100D using a micro usb with normal USB on the AAmini side. I am pretty sure that guiding requires the ASI camera and scope. Would be happy for any advice on using the AA mini with cameras, Canon and Sony (a5000 and a6000) and with the ASI guide camera. Thanks and regards

55 minutes ago, irandar said:

Would be happy for any advice on using the AA mini with cameras

If you don't have a guide camera or guidescope you can still use the air, after polar aligning your mount you can rely on the mounts in built tracking and set the air to run in autorun mode to continue taking images. You won't be able to dither though without an autoguided setup which allows removal of walking noise from your stacked images which you'll get if you don't manually move your cameras fov every few minutes.