NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography starter

I'm looking at maybe getting into astrophotography I've been visually observing for about a year now with a 10inch bresser.

I do have my worries about astrophotography though as it seems far more expensive and time consuming prossesing data and what not. I've been looking on astro buy and sell and have seen some great refractors but it all seems very daunting buy second hand equipment. I'd love ideally a 80mm ED/apo and a goto mount that's good enough for payload and tracking.

Thanks

3 hours ago, billy86 said:

I'm looking at maybe getting into astrophotography I've been visually observing for about a year now with a 10inch bresser.

I do have my worries about astrophotography though as it seems far more expensive and time consuming prossesing data and what not. I've been looking on astro buy and sell and have seen some great refractors but it all seems very daunting buy second hand equipment. I'd love ideally a 80mm ED/apo and a goto mount that's good enough for payload and tracking.

Thanks

Exactly the reason I opted for EAA - nice and simple set up and loads of enjoyment with out post processing data 

Edited by Beardy30
  • Like 2

Note it will get expensive very fast, especially if you want to do long exposure DSO. It doesn't have to be so expensive though, and you're already doing good looking at used as your milage goes further than buying new. ABS is a good point as I'd like to believe most people are avid astronomers so look after their kit, if you contribute to this forum enough you'll also be able to access the classifieds from even more like minded people. 

Do your research on the scope and the buyer, I've actually never bought a new scope myself as a good buy always comes along to ruin new buy plans, never had an issue with any of mine. A medium to small refractor paired to a goto mount makes for a good start in AP, but I always advocate to use what you have at hand, and the recommendation for EAA is a good one, you just need the camera and a laptop to connect to if you don't have them already. Your dob will have much more speed than a smaller refractor due to its aperture, the only issue would be tracking if it's on a manual rocker box.

It's a manual rocker box unfortunately. Is it possible to nudge it while imaging?. I'd also like to keep my big dob for garden use ideally,it's becoming a pain to load up in the car. A more dedicated astro set up for imaging is the way I would like to go. I'm already looking at a laptop, ideally I'd like to start with a dedicated astro camera that videos the planets and moon while I control it and view from the laptop. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

I like using the ASI camera I have as I don't need a laptop, I can control it from my mobile and use the ZWO ASICAP application quite handy. If doing more I can also connect to a PC instead that opens more options. Do you have a budget in mind.

On 17/10/2023 at 10:01, bosun21 said:

You could buy an EQ platform for your dobsonian and a camera and take good photos of the planets and moon. You can also do EAA with it using short exposures. No nudging required.

The thought of fixing it to an EQ mount just gave me a hernia 🤣

2 minutes ago, billy86 said:

The thought of fixing it to an EQ mount just gave me a hernia 🤣

An EQ platform is only about 4-5” high which you lift your dobsonian onto. It nothing like a standard EQ mount.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bugdozer said:

Hi Billy, I don't have anything to advise regarding astrophotography (I'm very new to it as well) but I see you're in the same town as me! Fellow Hastings resident here *waves*

Hi mate do you ever come to the sussex sidewalk astronomers meet ups? We normally meet up down the old bathing pool you should follow our Facebook page

2 hours ago, billy86 said:

Hi mate do you ever come to the sussex sidewalk astronomers meet ups? We normally meet up down the old bathing pool you should follow our Facebook page

I wasn't aware of that, so not yet! I will check it out 👍🏻

On 16/10/2023 at 20:44, billy86 said:

It's a manual rocker box unfortunately. Is it possible to nudge it while imaging?. I'd also like to keep my big dob for garden use ideally,it's becoming a pain to load up in the car. A more dedicated astro set up for imaging is the way I would like to go. I'm already looking at a laptop, ideally I'd like to start with a dedicated astro camera that videos the planets and moon while I control it and view from the laptop. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

Reading through your posts, I have built a mental picture of how you wish to work. Correct me if wrong...

When you say view it from the laptop I have assumed that you wish to do what many of us do...capture the images and then post process at leisure to bring out the images. There is another way to do it called EEA where you stack the images whilst capturing thus its a bit of both worlds - visual & enhanced without the faff of post processing.

- You wish to take the kit to some place other than your garden to do imaging: If so you will need something lighter and easy to carry in car. But you will need battery to power your equipment.

- Mount (ideally Go-to, but tracking as a minimum). I have assumed Go-to for the items below. If you just use a hand controller for the mount then you wont need the USB/EQASCOM for mount.

- You are more interested in Planetary & Lunar at the moment: you would need scopes with long focal length - eg. SCT/Mak + + planetary camera with high FPS rate (eg. ASI224) + UV/IR cut filter + ADC to improve vision due to atmosphere (optional)

- Laptop with software to manage the mount (eg EQASCOM), software like Firecapture or SharpCap to capture the images, Post processing software like Siril, Gimp, Pipp, Autostakkert/ Registax. Note: SharpCap (paid version) allows you to do EAA

- Cables: USB3 ideally (min 2 - one for mount & one for camera) + power supply unit etc. to connect to battery.

Hope this helps.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 2

I'm getting the itch for a second scope and quite like the look of the bresser 127l but it has the same focal length as my 10" bresser dob not sure if I'll gain anything with detail on the lunar surface and planets?

I'd seriously doubt it, the dob will have far higher resolving capacity. For a second you could consider a short focal length refractor as you can take in more of the sky. Seeing Pleiades for example in full view is fantastic, as well as just sweeping the skies taking in star fields.

Edited by Elp

1 hour ago, billy86 said:

I'm getting the itch for a second scope and quite like the look of the bresser 127l but it has the same focal length as my 10" bresser dob not sure if I'll gain anything with detail on the lunar surface and planets?

i've had one of those "monsters" (127L) and its a real looker .. it also gave me some great planetary views , but its a heavy beast and to be honest as Elp writes your dob will be the better bet . And i will second a small FL refractor .. i was using the 70ed Altair last night ... it was a pleasure to see M45 in all its glory .

Bresser 127L - not as difficult to handle as a 10" Dob, I find.  And once it's on a mount (like a Skytee), it is very easy to swing around and enjoy.

Long focus achro - gives sharp images, less CA, good depth of focus, easy on EPs, less Field Curvature, good contrast at low power.  

Mine is still for sale:

Doug.