Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Cemmerts

New to the forum to get some experienced advice. I’ve always loved astronomy and frequently feel as if I missed out on my calling in life (I’m sure many of you feel the same!). I’ve had a couple of little Walmart telescopes in life, which were always disappointing. I’m ready to put in a real investment and get something that won’t disappoint. My experience is very little. I’ll put a post up about my thoughts in the equipment forum. I’m from southwest MO by the way! 

• Like 3

Hi @Cemmerts and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Depending on your budget and what you enjoy observing, no telescope does all. Many SGL’ers, (myself included, have more than one telescope). Let us know what you enjoy and we can recommend a nice package for you.

I'll keep an eye out for your posts, but do consider stuff like the new seestar s50 and dwarf ii. They are reasonably cheap and great resale value. IMHO it would be a good way for you to play, learn and also help decide if that's enough for you, or u prefer going 'analogue' visual, or prefer going imaging ? Have a hunt on YouTube and you'll find videos of both.

The benefit if u decide to move on is prob for the next year or so because of limited supply, you'll prob sell it for much the same as u bought it for. Kind of a no risk trial. 😁 At least that's the way my brain works.

Stu

Edited by powerlord

You're in the right place for good advice on purchasing a good first piece of equipment. It is true that Dobsonian telescopes offer a better quality/price ratio. There are also defenders of refractors, despite their limited aberture (I would include myself among them). Or those who opt for compounds for their manageability, quality and aberture. However, know that this is not an easy decision. Take it easy, be patient and educate yourself, distinguish well what the qualities and weaknesses of the different optical designs and the different mount possibilities are, read or watch reviews from experienced observers with their equipments, decide what you like to observe the most and how you want to do it (visually or through images), and assess your own circumstances as an observer (quality of the sky, need to move, size of your usual observation place, ability to move heavy objects, etc.)... And I think that then you will be in the best position to start evaluating specific telescope options on websites or in specialized physical stores that fit your budget.