Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Delabole village parish church St John's

I really wanted to Nightscape our village parish church here in Delabole as its such a beautiful building. There's a large floodlight that the warden uses to light up the building which is a real shame so fighting with controlling the image with that blaring. 

I checked with the warden if it was ok to be creeping about in the churchyard at night, so as not to scare the villagers that the dead were rising. 

Imaged with Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm.

Panorama 2 vertical image composite of 10x10 sec images for the sky at 1600 iso f. 2.8

5x1 200iso sec images for the church

Processed in Photoshop. 

Hoping the congregation enjoys this image as never been imaged at night before. 

I think I shall have to calibrate my laptop screen as its a bit lighter on there than what it looks like on devices. 

(worth a click) 

Lee

St Johns Church Delabole 6-9-23.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 17

Striking image. 🙂 Thanks for sharing. The floodlight works well in that it silhouettes the gravestones in the foreground making them stand out.

Perhaps a better edge blending between the land and sky wouldn't be amiss though. 😉

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Striking image. 🙂 Thanks for sharing. The floodlight works well in that it silhouettes the gravestones in the foreground making them stand out.

Perhaps a better edge blending between the land and sky wouldn't be amiss though. 😉

Alan

Thank you 😊 The floodlight probably does help with silhouettes but was a swine to control the exposure and not blowing it all out. There's a streetlight above the floodlight too. 

There is a slight harder edge to the left hand ground to the sky but in my defence there is a bungalow there in the ajoining ground so didn't want it in there, so that's probably why it looks a bit strong. I did try to blend it in a bit without overdoing it, maybe I was a bit conservative but I think or works ok. 😊

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, badhex said:

Lovely image Lee! Very moody. 

Thank you 😊. One thing about imaging a village church on the rural high street is to be very quiet and not spook people when perching close to the hedge near the pavement. 

Though I did do a Bob Mortimer and had a problem with gravity as I went to sit down and rolled back into a ditch (yes it was a ditch and not a dug grave 😉) against the hedge 😂

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you 😊. One thing about imaging a village church on the rural high street is to be very quiet and not spook people when perching close to the hedge near the pavement. 

Though I did do a Bob Mortimer and had a problem with gravity as I went to sit down and rolled back into a ditch (yes it was a ditch and not a dug grave 😉) against the hedge 😂

Lee 

At least you hopefully weren't holding on to your kit at the same time! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, badhex said:

At least you hopefully weren't holding on to your kit at the same time! 

No not holding onto the kit, it was set up taking the sky images just scrabbling around on my back like a tortoise 😂

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Haha 1

That’s a really beautiful image, Lee - great colours in the stars and you’ve controlled the strong lighting on the church really well.  I am sure the church warden and congregation would love it.  Creeping around churchyards at night is kind of fun, although I often wonder what people who see me are thinking!!

So great to see. 👏

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

That’s a really beautiful image, Lee - great colours in the stars and you’ve controlled the strong lighting on the church really well.  I am sure the church warden and congregation would love it.  Creeping around churchyards at night is kind of fun, although I often wonder what people who see me are thinking!!

So great to see. 👏

Thank you so much Paul. Your beautiful images and vlogs give me the inspiration and ideas to try harder. It was tough controlling the lighting on the church so I'm pleased it's looking good.

I'm trying to find iconic or interesting buildings or objects around the village to Nightscape image, some have quite a lot of LP and on main road or where the local ravages hang out, so tricky if even not possible! I don't mind creeping around the churchyards or cemeterys as its the living you have to worry about not the deceased! Though as you say I wonder what people woukd think if they saw me, probably think I'm strange. 

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

I just spat out my orange juice reading that!! 🤣🤣

Haha 😂 I hope it cleaned off well. . I'm sure there's a sitcom scene I remember when someone tumbled into a dug grave before 

• Like 1

Really nice image Lee, well done 👏 

36 minutes ago, badhex said:

I was thinking only fools and horses but maybe it's Absolutely Fabulous? About 2 mins in

Haha, I was thinking only fools but that was Grandads funeral when they put the vicars hat in 🤣 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, badhex said:

I was thinking only fools and horses but maybe it's Absolutely Fabulous? About 2 mins in

Haha that could of been it! Though I didn't have high heels on as it was a weekday 😂

4 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Really nice image Lee, well done 👏 

Haha, I was thinking only fools but that was Grandads funeral when they put the vicars hat in 🤣 

Thank you that's kind of you. I think if we searched enough there's quite a few tumbles into dug graves 😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you, means a lot. Can I ask which one you prefer, I'm quite undecided. 

Thank you in advance. 

Lee 

I slightly prefer the bottom photograph. I think it’s a tad sharper all over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I slightly prefer the bottom photograph. I think it’s a tad sharper all over.

2 hours ago, glafnazur said:

both are great and it's the bottom one for me too.

50 minutes ago, badhex said:

I prefer the bottom one too although I'm hardly a connoisseur! 

Thank you all for your confirmation and help. I think so too. 

• Like 3

Hello, beautiful picture, monument well lit give a very dramatic impression, but not a good place to observe the night sky?
Is Delabole the same town that is mentioned in the series of Doc Martin?
Although  right now, hooked on Midsomer murders series-again!

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VNA said:

hooked on Midsomer murders series-again!

Is it as good as Morse/Lewis/Endeavour? Need a new police procedural to watch, have watched those so many times I know everything that happens in every episode! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VNA said:

Hello, beautiful picture, monument well lit give a very dramatic impression, but not a good place to observe the night sky?
Is Delabole the same town that is mentioned in the series of Doc Martin?
Although  right now, hooked on Midsomer murders series-again!

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. The main street in my village isn't the best place but it's very rural North Cornwall village so plenty of dark skies available and visable milky-way. 

Yes you are correct in that Doc Martin mentions Delabole and used many buildings on my village to film. Port Isaac which it's set in is 3 miles down the road. 

Lee