Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Change in Observing Eye, and Concerns for the Future.

Mr Spock

On 08/09/2023 at 10:02, Mr Spock said:

For as long as I can remember I have observed with my left eye. That is going to have to change.

I am diabetic and have diabetic retinopathy in both eyes, and diabetic maculopathy in my right eye.
The maculopathy in my right eye consists of a blurred patch just below centre. I will have laser treatment soon to stop it spreading - it's not a cure. It's still sharp in the centre though.
The retinopathy can only be seen in my left eye. A year ago it was a string of floater like objects across the centre; a few days ago it was four strings. The view of Jupiter was so difficult I had to switch to my right eye. Very uncomfortable as I'm not used to it. I did get to see lots of belt detail with the 4" though.

So, sometime in the future, I may have to give up visual observing altogether. I've no idea when that will be :unsure:

Sorry to read that, Michael.

I hope that it's a long way off before you have to  give up.

Others have talked about diets etc, I do know that Dr. David Unwin has success with a low carb diet, whether that would assist you or not, I do not know, but he is at https://twitter.com/lowcarbGP if you have a twitter. 

I know of one person with poorer eyesight using a EV Scope and tablet, I was impressed by how good the images were on his tablet after a few minutes, but whether that is astronomy or not is another discussion. 

Best wishes,

Chrisd

I feel your pain as am in the same boat or perhaps an even worse boat. 

l have Macular degeneration.  The right eye is pretty much useless for anything much as everything is distorted.  Luckily l do imaging these days but used to use my right eye.  The left eye is doing much better but also developing cataracts so at some point will have to have that done.  Long distance focus is not great in that eye even with new specs which might be the cataract they say.  Bit scared to have my only reasonably decent eye operated on as all operations carry a degree of risk. 
DVLA are doing regular check ups. 

It has been stable for some time so fingers crossed it stays that way. 

Not tried observing with the left eye to see how it fares but will do so soon. 

😢

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Sorry to read about your diabetes issue @Mr Spock/Micheal. My partner has type 2... Not funny when you get a PCN either for over-staying your ‘free’ thirty-minutes in a parking lot by thirty-seconds either whilst she was taking her medication before we drove off. I appealed against it and lost the case!

I am ‘lefty’ dominant. I use my left eye for viewing and hold a camera. I have tried numerous occasions to use my right eye, but it feels so unnatural to me. I write with my left-hand. Thankfully, I was not forced to write with my right hand at school. I throw a frisbee with my left hand and not to bad with my right one. I can kick a ball with my left foot but lousy with the right one.

Anyway... look after yourself and stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the hospital this morning for my eyes testing. It seems the leak causing the maculopathy in my right eye has stopped and so I no longer need laser treatment :ohmy: I thought I could see a bit better but wondered if it was just my imagination. Apparently not!

Some good news at last!

• Like 13

On 08/09/2023 at 10:22, Mr Spock said:

I'm off to the doctors in a few moments. My blood sugar over the last week has been 12-13 before meals and 17-18 after - it should be 5 and 8

I've got this sorted myself. Last three days my afternoon readings have been 5.7, 6.2 and 8.5. I'll be starting a thread on this shortly as my diet is easy, healthy and tasty! You'd be surprised what I've left out to achieve this :tongue2:

• Like 5

I've just been doing some solar, and, the strings of floaters in my left eye have reduced to just one long string - and it's not in the middle! :ohmy:

It would seem controlling blood sugar levels is the answer.

• Like 3