NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Kelling, Autumn 2023

59 minutes ago, icpn said:

make sure you can black it out and keep its outside lights off. Are you bringing a telescope? If you are intending to image then making sure your laptop screen can be completely shaded.

Thanks. Keeping dark should be easy enough. I will be bringing a scope or two. I’m not an imager so no laptop. 

19 hours ago, Richard N said:

Just booked. I’m a Star Party Noob. Any tips? I’m in a motorhome. 

Well done! I’m just about to book a tent pitch at the same event, currently deciding which is the best spot. I’ve limited experience at star parties, but from what I’ve seen, blacking out is not to be underestimated - in the pitch black of the night any tiny gap of light can seem blinding and really upset people, so a test run is a good idea. On cars there’s a Christmas tree of lights every time it’s locked/unlocked or opened, so literally everything has to be covered if you need to get in or out of your car, but I guess you won’t have one of those though. Hope to see you there. 🙂

Remember Kelling is by far the largest star party in the UK and if full will be close to 7-8 hundred astronomers there and is spread over a large area.  I must admit I am surprised that pitches are still available as it is normally booked out months before.

Finally booked my pitch - there were quite a few pitches left but when checking satellite view I realized why; they are the ones where sky is partially obscured by trees. I chose the best one I could, but it’s not that important as my setup is very portable so I can find a good spot to observe, and tbh, it will be nice to just wander around the site sharing views and chatting with other fellow enthusiasts. 🙂

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

A quick question. Do members of the public come round to see what we are up to? Should I be prepared for some outreach? Thinking a cheap refractor with a throw away eyepiece tracking the Pleiades or something?  

UPDATE: I have been advised that with the rise in imaging, fewer visitors call in as there is less to look at. 

Edited by Richard N

That's true. When we started going in the early days at Kelling there was a lot going on. 

Now there are still some groups observing but you need to look for them and catch them at it. There are quite a lot of dobsonians of varlous sizes around the fields. I've not seen visitors but often there are first time attendees who are interested in seeing things.

You can see what some of the imagers are doing but tread carefully and don't shine a red light at them. I often go walkabout once I've set my imaging run to go. Incidentally, my husband sketches using a stacked view of various objects so is outside all the time. He's quite happy to show what he's doing. We've got a motorhome in the yellow field.

Anne

• Like 1

I’m visual only, I’m taking a couple of scopes and tripods as I am taking a friend who is a novice, so he can have a go, and I’ll be happy to share views with anyone else. I will also be looking to get a look through some large dobs if possible. I’m kinda thinking it would be good to have a list of visual observers who are happy to let other SGL’ers have a squint.  I’m on pitches 431 and 442 in red field, very happy to chat (I don’t get out much!). 

• 2 weeks later...

I decided not to come to Kelling this year as it is a long drive for me, costs a lot with hiring caravan and only got 1 1/2 hours imaging done in a whole week last year and wasn’t a lot better the two previous years.  So re-sold my pitch. 

Going to a campsite in East Sussex with a few astro friends in a few days time instead - only 1 hours drive away.  

i have been going to Kelling since 2010 and have had a great time over the years - met lots of lovely people but decided to stay closer to home in future  

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Unfortunately now we are being messed around by Kelling management and the dates are being moved to times when we are unlikely to get much in the way of clear skies due to the fact that they want to fit in other events. I suspect the long term future of Kelling may be uncertain.

However most UK star parties suffer the same issues with skies.

• Sad 1

I did prefer it in September, it's warmer. It was also clear most of the week in Norfolk, I see. We even had a few clear nights in Wales!

The issue seems to be the vintage day on the railway which has become very popular. Because we move weeks every 4 years we need their weekend!

The Spring starparty has the same problem with Easter and the School Holidays.

The last time we came to Winterfest we got blown away a couple of days before it started and broke my new Astrotent poles! Though the best astrophotograpy has been at Winterfest. Occasionally...

Yes some of the changes in booking due to new management also played a part in my decision.   Years ago l was often still packing away until mid afternoon on the day of departure.  Now l have to book and pay for an extra day simply to pack up and be off the pitch by 10.00am !!!  

My local camp is midday and they are happy if it takes longer to pack up your astro kit.  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I've been banned from booking a pitch because I sleep in my car, and they say it's not allowed. I've been going to Kelling since it was first based there after it moved from Thetford.  I have allways used my car and it's never been a problem before. The reason they have given me is that someone complained. obviously i'm most dissapointed by this decision, and thay are refusing to remove the ban. I'm now going to stay at Foxhills camping in weybourne, 2 miles down the road, and i'm hoping to pitch my large 150mm binoculars with someone, so I can observe from Kelling, hopefully !

I'm also wondering about the future of Kelling owing to the new management who seem to be totally unflexable with things. I've also spent many happy times there and i allways look forward to catching up with friends. Most dissapointed by this ridiculous decision by them.

• Sad 1

Ive not been to Kelling for 4 years due to their rules. For years I had been going in my van, day van not full camper) then i tried to book again and they told me its not a camper van and wasnt allowed. I had a few conflicting issues with them the year before as well, they seemed to be determined to avoid a booking, so i dont bother niw.

8 hours ago, HAsun said:

Hello All,

I've been banned from booking a pitch because I sleep in my car, and they say it's not allowed. I've been going to Kelling since it was first based there after it moved from Thetford.  I have allways used my car and it's never been a problem before. The reason they have given me is that someone complained. obviously i'm most dissapointed by this decision, and thay are refusing to remove the ban. I'm now going to stay at Foxhills camping in weybourne, 2 miles down the road, and i'm hoping to pitch my large 150mm binoculars with someone, so I can observe from Kelling, hopefully !

I'm also wondering about the future of Kelling owing to the new management who seem to be totally unflexable with things. I've also spent many happy times there and i allways look forward to catching up with friends. Most dissapointed by this ridiculous decision by them.

I have used Foxhills Patrick. I was there in july this year actually. A great little place but be aware they arent providing shower facilities now. Loos, yes, showers no.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, HAsun said:

How is the weather doing at Kelling, any clear nights so far ?

It’s raining at the moment. Lots of sad looking wet telescope covers. I’m not unpacking mine unless it’s certain to be clear (and dry). 

• Sad 1