Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mam Tor light trails.

I've had the idea to do car light trails from Mam Tor for a few years now and one of the reasons for getting out now was all the inspiring imaging that's been done here recently with DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras ( And all the purchases of lenses and cameras that's been going on 😎). Because it's been an age since I last went out I very stupidly set off with a rucksack filled with three cameras and two tripods. It took me all of five meters with that weight on my back to turn round and drop off one camera and tripod !

First up the long way to do it. This photo is based on two minute exposures for the hills and a mix of two and one minute exposures for the light trails totalling six stacked images over all. In photoshop the base image goes on the bottom of the pile and the light trails shine through via blend mode " Lighten ". The exposure time meant the stars were also trails but that doesn't bother me. Nikon D810, Sigma 14mm and various settings to suit.

DSC_1022-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.fa0711daa689c49856e524fc736f5ed5.jpg

Second, the shorter way. A fifteen second base image to control the stars and just one light trail shot done again in Photoshop. It may not show too well here but the background is so much smoother and crisper in the two minute shots, as you'd expect. Same equipment

.DSC_1032-Edit.thumb.jpg.13f4258621e18014a57ad263657ebcdb.jpg

Finally - the setup and frame shot. Shame about the lens flare. I couldn't believe how many people stopped to chat as I was standing next to the tripod. Two fellow imagers chatted and then a group of four walking up to the top with a scope and tripod ! Madness 😁

DSC_1011.thumb.jpg.99d07f31dc12a45be378986157a0078e.jpg

All shots fuelled by Fry's Chocolate Cream bars which as we all know is Rich Dark Chocolate with a smooth Fondant Centre !

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 22

Beautiful! I recognised the road immediately, having driven it hundreds of times, but I've never seen it lit like this. In fact, we were very near there this afternoon. Did you drive up Winnats Pass? I think that is one of the most spectacular short drives in the Peak District. I usually go up Winnats, then back down this road. You got a lovely vantage point, there, Congrats on a job well done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davew said:

All shots fuelled by Fry's Chocolate Cream bars which as we all know is Rich Dark Chocolate with a smooth Fondant Centre

I've been frugal with the chocolate of late  :(

Good to see you out!

Definitely making the best of the human presence.  I prefer the first image.

Nice work!  Paul 

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, saac said:

I like the trail shots but my favourite is the last one, the quality of the light and the subject is just glorious. Well done :) 

Jim 

I was quite lucky with the light as I only just got there in time and just a few minutes later the scene was flat ! 

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandy D said:

Beautiful! I recognised the road immediately, having driven it hundreds of times, but I've never seen it lit like this. In fact, we were very near there this afternoon. Did you drive up Winnats Pass? I think that is one of the most spectacular short drives in the Peak District. I usually go up Winnats, then back down this road. You got a lovely vantage point, there, Congrats on a job well done.

I came up Rushup Edge from Chapel this time as that's the quickest way for me.

Just for you, I have a shot of the pass from five years ago on a cool September full moon night. I wanted to be slightly to my right but it was foolish to try and I won't be walking down that road at night again !

WinnatsPass.thumb.jpg.00676fa00c3237ee5403465b9444e6a7.jpg

Dave.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clarkpm4242 said:

I've been frugal with the chocolate of late  :(

How are you able to image without chocolate ? You wouldn't know it from your latest shots at Old Gang. 🙂

It has been a while since I ventured out so I'll try and push myself out more often. I've got Smardale Gill viaduct in mind and that's not too far from you.

Thanks Paul,

Dave.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Really great set of images, Dave. Love the concept and the execution. 

Thanks Paul, that means a lot.

I hope we are in for another of your videos soon ? They really are top notch and I look forward to them,

Dave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davew said:

I came up Rushup Edge from Chapel this time as that's the quickest way for me.

Just for you, I have a shot of the pass from five years ago on a cool September full moon night. I wanted to be slightly to my right but it was foolish to try and I won't be walking down that road at night again !

WinnatsPass.thumb.jpg.00676fa00c3237ee5403465b9444e6a7.jpg

Dave.

I rather suspected that might have been your route. Thank you for the image of Winnats Pass. It is spectacular. It really is not a good road to walk at any time, but it is a lovely road to drive. I usually go up Winnats and then round the back of Mam Tor to do the full circle. It is a lovely drive, even at night, or is that especially at night? I've photographed the Moon many times from near Blue John Cavern on the old Mam Tor Pass. For those who don't know it, Mam Tor Pass collapsed many times up to the 1970s and is now permanently closed to vehicles and you can see the huge thicknesses of tarmac where it has been repaired before finally subsiding. Many photos of this on Google.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davew said:

Thanks Paul, that means a lot.

I hope we are in for another of your videos soon ? They really are top notch and I look forward to them,

Dave.

Very kind indeed - just starting to edit a new one right now as it happens. Hopefully (overseas internet connection permitting!) out next Saturday morning. 😊

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

@davew I've just shown my partner your photos and after looking at them and loving them she showed me a postcard she bought today depicting Winnats Pass! How cool is that?

Wow, what a coincidence. 

I've driven and cycled on the road you were talking about before the landslide so imagine my face when I cycled up there one year and the road was gone !

Dave.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Winnats Pass is notoriously steep, steeper than it appears in your excellent image.

I don't think I could walk up it now. Certainly not with photo gear and copious quantities of chocolate. Hmmm, perhaps the chocolate is the problem ?

Dave.

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Winnats Pass is notoriously steep, steeper than it appears in your excellent image.

Yes, Winnats Pass is a 20% gradient. I dragged a 7.5 tonne truck up it with my Land Rover after it had broken down at the steepest point and was blcoking the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, davew said:

Wow, what a coincidence. 

I've driven and cycled on the road you were talking about before the landslide so imagine my face when I cycled up there one year and the road was gone !

Dave.

Yes, it was a total surprise to me, too. I knew she'd bought postcards, but I had not seen them until after she saw your photos.

My first time in the Peak District was on a week long school trip in 1973 and we went up Mam Tor Pass in an orange Ford Transit mini bus. What a slow grind that was! I've walked it many times since it's demise and am always staggered by the upheaval of the road surface. It has been featured on international TV programmes such as The World's Most Dangerous Roads, but I'm sure you know that. I'm now lucky enough to live on the edge of The Peak District, having moved here more than 30 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Such a beautiful and magical image indeed. How amazing the car light trails make this image so special. Well done 

Lee 

Thanks Lee. I thought the first photo looked like lava flow when I finished it.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Your comment on last shot of the first set "shame about the lens flare": I'd have to disagree with that statement. I think it enhances it considerably, superb shot!

Thanks Wulfrun and I take your point. I used to be the same with clouds but I do now realise they actually enhance some night shots. I suppose what I meant, and didn't make clear, was that I shot at f11 and it should have been at f16 to crisp up the sunstars a bit and I'm not over keen on so many reflections below the sun. I did bury the major one right in the sun but the rest I'll have to accept.

Thanks for the comment as it does boost the confidence and gets me trying different stuff.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, davew said:

Thanks Wulfrun and I take your point. I used to be the same with clouds but I do now realise they actually enhance some night shots. I suppose what I meant, and didn't make clear, was that I shot at f11 and it should have been at f16 to crisp up the sunstars a bit and I'm not over keen on so many reflections below the sun. I did bury the major one right in the sun but the rest I'll have to accept.

Thanks for the comment as it does boost the confidence and gets me trying different stuff.

Cheers,

Dave.

I know what you mean about the flare/sun-stars, it goes against the grain (sorry!) as a photographer. However, you can't avoid it and more importantly (to me) it conveyed perfectly the impression of squinting hard into the sun, as you would do. The lighting from the low sun is also beautiful.

• Thanks 1