NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What do you keep your bits and pieces in?

I'm looking for some sort of box to keep all my bits and pieces in... eye pieces; filters; camera adaptor; barlow lens; etc etc . Currently they're rolling about in the bottom of the box my 'scope lives in when it's not being used.

I've been Googling but not really come across anything that looks suitable - they're either too big or too small

What do you use?

• Like 1

An Oklop Padded Bag for Small Telescopes is crammed with diagonals, finders, sky maps, almanacs, pencils, notepads, batteries, a planetary cam, cables, a compass, small spirit level, etc.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-small-telescopes.html

Eyepieces are kept in a separate foamed lined hard case.

• Like 1

Eyepieces, ‘Barlow’ lenses, 1.25” star diagonals are stored in camera cases with plucked foam inserts.

All other accessories, including a 2” SCT star diagonal, ’Crayford’ focuser and 2x focal reducers/field flatteners, are stored in a vanity case... or two!

Edited by RT65CB-SWL

Like others, I have a variety of hard and soft cases for telescopes, a couple of small hard cases for EPs and and some cantilever cases for other bits and bobs that don't easily fit into the other categories. 

For more inspo, I suggest you check out the below thread, although I should warn you there are 178 pages of it! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

Really Useful plastic boxes with tray inserts. Even got my Celestron 5SE in one of the bigger boxes together with its original foam packing. The boxes are strong and see-through allowing quick identification of what's within. Works a treat and very practical for making an impromptu seat in the field if necessary.

Eyepieces, binoviewer, Barlows, various correctors, diagonals and any other small, expensive optics go in pick-n-pluck foam cases of various sizes and quality.  These blow molded plastic storage cases are tough enough that can be stacked feet deep in the back of a coat closet.

Filters go in photography filter wallets for easy access.

Finder scopes, both optical and unit power, go bubble wrapped in relatively shallow cardboard boxes.  Nothing gets piled on them in the closet, so I don't have to dig for them, and so they don't get crushed.

Scopes stay in cases if they came with one.  Bigger ones (6" and up) rest vertically in the backs of coat closets.  Some with nice finishes are bubble wrapped inside duffle bags.

Filter wallets (see above), collimation tools, Allen wrenches, red flashlight, cleaning cloths, laser sights, laser pointers, multi-finder stalks, adapters, spare parts, distance-only observing eyeglasses, compact sky map, and various small random bits and pieces I might need for observing or snapping quick pics go in a large plastic toolbox with a lift out top tray for the smaller, most often used things.

Things I rarely need or have retired but not sold or given away are stored in cardboard boxes on a high shelf in my bedroom closet.