NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PixInsight 1.8.9-2 Update Issues

symmetal

I installed the recently released PI 1.8.9-2 update and there are a number of issues with some scripts now not working, primarily 3rd party addons. MosaicByCoords is now failing with a 'resWindow is null'. message. I'm waiting for approval to post on the PI forum, and noticed plenty of issues with the new update posted, so it may be worth waiting a while before installing it. 

Alan

15 minutes ago, symmetal said:

I installed the recently released PI 1.8.9-2 update and there are a number of issues with some scripts now not working, primarily 3rd party addons. MosaicByCoords is now failing with a 'resWindow is null'. message. I'm waiting for approval to post on the PI forum, and noticed plenty of issues with the new update posted, so it may be worth waiting a while before installing it. 

Alan

Thanks for posting this.  I’m glad I spotted it. I actually dread Pixinsight updating for the very reasons you describe. I shall stay put with my current (stable) version. 

• Like 2

The ImageSolver script has had an update in the new version to be more accurate, and the text output info is very different. I reinstalled the older PI version, which then needed 27 updates to be reinstalled, 😐 and running MosaicByCoords it failed right away with a co-ord error message. I reran the ImageSolver on the two panels, assuming it would be the old version of ImageSolver but it was still the new one. 😬 However running MosaicByCoords again it now worked OK.  Phew!

Alan

• Like 1

Yes, I saw all this a day or so ago and meant to post it on here and tell people to avoid updating like the plague, also Darkarchon who developed the EZ procession script, which is widely used, has shut his server down so that has gone now as it would not work with the new version, nor the old if you have to roll back either….not sure why he has done that but he has never got on with the guys at PI… ☹️

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, I saw all this a day or so ago and meant to post it on here and tell people to avoid updating like the plague, also Darkarchon who developed the EZ procession script, which is widely used, has shut his server down so that has gone now as it would not work with the new version, nor the old if you have to roll back either….not sure why he has done that but he has never got on with the guys at PI… ☹️

Darkarchon has posted on the PI forum and said he doesn't have the time to continue support for the EZ scripts, but has made them available if someone else wants to make the updates and host a repository for them.

StarNet2 is also not currently working following the update, but I understand this is being worked on by the author. GHS has now been fixed and some other third-party scripts just need to be reinstalled, either via Check for Updates or Install Modules.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that they moved the Yes / No buttons around, or am I just imaging it? I keep clicking "No" automatically thinking it's yes from muscle memory so I'm assuming they have changed it lol 

2 hours ago, Phillyo said:

Has anyone else noticed that they moved the Yes / No buttons around, or am I just imaging it? I keep clicking "No" automatically thinking it's yes from muscle memory so I'm assuming they have changed it lol 

It's not just you. It's a bit annoying and I can't see the reasoning behind it TBH. 😕 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

It's not just you. It's a bit annoying and I can't see the reasoning behind it TBH. 😕 

This the reasoning and I quote:

Platform-Independent Message Boxes

Message boxes are now platform-independent and uniformly implemented on all supported operating systems. One of the most noticeable changes is in the order of the Yes/No and OK/Cancel buttons. These buttons are now placed so that the least potentially dangerous button is always located first (leftmost position) and is the dialog's default button, that is, the action executed by hitting Enter.

For example, in a message box asking, "The image has been modified. Do you really want to close it?" the order of buttons would be No, Yes. For a question like "Do you want to save the changes?" the order would be Yes, No. Note that this can be contradictory with platform-specific customary settings. Did we mention that PixInsight doesn't necessarily follow platform customary settings?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I reverted back to 1.8.9-1 which cured everything. PI have now issed a new release of 1.8.9-2 which I’ve installed and NXT, BXT Etc are all fine. I think they got some egg on face for the previous update.