Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

House Guests

Richard N

You have people staying over. It's a clear night and you get out your scope to show them something of the night sky. They will just come out for a quick look so they won't be dark adapted. Which two things do you show them and why?

The Moon and Saturn, if they are visible. Easily the two best celestial objects for a first time view wow factor at the eyepiece.

In my experience non astro enthusiasts are not usually impressed with barely discernible fuzzy grey blobs.

• Like 5

The Moon and Jupiter with it's Gallilean moons. If they are prepared to spend a few minutes at the scope they should see that the moons are moving in relation to each other and the planet. Our own Moon shows an amazing amount of detail even in small telescopes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomato said:

The Moon and Saturn, if they are visible. Easily the two best celestial objects for a first time view wow factor at the eyepiece.

In my experience non astro enthusiasts are not usually impressed with barely discernible fuzzy grey blobs.

Exactly what I would show 'em...unless it was the daytime, in which case I'd show them the sun in Ha

Edited by Roy Challen

Definitely the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter!

I got the opportunity to do that with my #1SIL's parents. I don't think they had every looked through a telescope before.

His father,  Kerry, looked at Saturn for just a second, stepped back and looked up at the tiny speck in the sky!

His comment as he went back to the telescope was WOW!

Edited by maw lod qan

I’ve done a bit of this with my daughters friends. As others have said definitely the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. I’ve also had some success with kids and binoculars, looking at star clusters eg the Pleiades. Most kids like the fact they are holding the binoculars, finding it themselves and focusing. 

During daylight then the sun in white light. Some kids like it more that others but often enjoy the safety chat (I think they like the idea of doing something that has potential “danger” attached to it). I’ve also done Venus when showing a crescent relatively recently and that has impressed. It’s also the fact that if the look up at the sunlit sky they can’t seen anything, but in the telescope there’s the planet. One example of this that really impressed a few of my daughters friends was Jupiter in daylight back in January. Look up at the daylight sky and nothing. Look through the telescope and there was Jupiter plus the GRS (that was lucky). And even I was surprised how good the seeing was. Then, as it got dark, watching the moons pop into view, finally seeing the dot of Jupiter become visible naked eye.

• Like 2

My absolute favourite targets in order would be:

• Jupiter (even more so if a GRS or moon transit was occurring, there’s nothing better IMO)
  • The Sun in Ha
  • Saturn
  • The Moon
  • A really good double like Izar or Double Double
  • Mars
  • Venus
  • Uranus
  • A good glob like M5 or M13

• Like 1

@PeterStudz I had Jupiter near the Moon in daylight recently, shortly before sunrise and got Ganymede and Io in an image. Callisto was far too faint and Europa was playing hide and seek behind the planet. It really is amazing what can be seen during daylight hours.

• Like 1

Assuming they are visible, Saturn and Jupiter would be the obvious choices followed by the moon (as long as it is not the boring full phase). A DSO pick would be the Double Cluster or M45 if it up (and you can fit in the field) and Albireo for the colour contrast. If it is winter obviously add M42 which is good even if not dark adapted

When I get on of my two refractors out during the daytime, the neighbour in the apartment/flat below mine, always wants to have a look at the Sun in white-light*.

At night, I get a few passers by wanting to look at the Moon, Jupiter or Saturn.

* filtered with a solar-wedge.