Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn with Tethys and Rhea (11/08/23)

Kon

Not the best conditions last night so I only had a go at Saturn with my IR filter. I recently got hold of a ZWO IR 742 filter and it seems to have been a bit better under the conditions last night compared to the 685. The image did not take much sharpening. Tethys (top right) and Rhea (bottom left) are also visible when I up the histogram. This is a composite to add the  moons on the non stretched image. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mm, IR pass 742, 2.5xTV powermate.

image.png.26e11ec03d90763a386045b78a7063ea.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Another fine image Kostas. You have become very proficient at layering in the moon's. I have had constant cloud cover unfortunately.

Thanks. It's pretty straightforward to copy and paste the moons. Message me if you need any help.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nice capture despite the poorer conditions Kostas.

Thanks Stuart. I have not managed any decent colour image this apparition. Even IR is not sharp, a lot of boiling effect.

That looks a very clean capture of Saturn Kostas. I can clearly see the banding on the globe. I have wondered about upgrading my ir685 filter as it dont really add anything more above my red filter. I have assumed it was down to my already camera's sensativity in IR. I've heard it said the ir685 is best for 10inch aperture and below and the ir742 is for 10inch and above. Plenty to think about.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stuart. I have not managed any decent colour image this apparition. Even IR is not sharp, a lot of boiling effect.

Have you thought about producing an LRGB image using your mono cam as L? I've used a red filter in the past for this and plan to try an ir685 this time.

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

That looks a very clean capture of Saturn Kostas. I can clearly see the banding on the globe. I have wondered about upgrading my ir685 filter as it dont really add anything more above my red filter. I have assumed it was down to my already camera's sensativity in IR. I've heard it said the ir685 is best for 10inch aperture and below and the ir742 is for 10inch and above. Plenty to think about.

Thanks Martyn. My thoughts on trying the 742 was that going deeper into red I may have a bit more stable capture, and I think it kind of 'worked'. Wed and Thursday morning are looking really good so I will try again. This is the 685 capture for comparison:

685.png.3ac6c19c46ed063c892823e930047e20.png

(I do not pay much attention to what aperture is better with a specific filter. I got some stunning Venus UV images earlier this season with my 8" (which in theory should not have been easy), so it is all about experimenting and trying, at least for me.). I think with new generation cameras and their IR sensitivity, I think we can pull more signal even with the smaller mirrors.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Have you thought about producing an LRGB image using your mono cam as L? I've used a red filter in the past for this and plan to try an ir685 this time.

Good point Stuart. I am not big fan of adding IR data to RGB to make them look nicer. I could try shoot with RGB filters but without tracking that can be complicated quite quickly even with derotation. Let's see if the forecast for Wed and Thursday morning holds as I want to try again but I think without having an ADC, getting a decent colour image will be hard for me.

54 minutes ago, Kon said:

Good point Stuart. I am not big fan of adding IR data to RGB to make them look nicer. I could try shoot with RGB filters but without tracking that can be complicated quite quickly even with derotation. Let's see if the forecast for Wed and Thursday morning holds as I want to try again but I think without having an ADC, getting a decent colour image will be hard for me.

Yep, using ir742 as L looks weird but I was very pleased with the red filter results as they made quite a dramatic difference even in good seeing.

For sure if you can pull off RGB filters on manual tracking I'll nominate you for a knighthood 😉

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Yep, using ir742 as L looks weird but I was very pleased with the red filter results as they made quite a dramatic difference even in good seeing.

For sure if you can pull off RGB filters on manual tracking I'll nominate you for a knighthood 😉

Excellent idea. I will be placing an order soon.

I think RGB on Saturn might be possible (Sir Kostas, I like the sound of it 😂) but without tracking etc etc easy task not a chance.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Nice Saturn kostas as has been mentioned can see some good globe detail 

Thanks Neil. I hope you have managed to get out. The weather is looking great for the next two nights.