NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

9 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

In preparation for darker skies, now we're heading for astro darkness again, I've been looking to upgrade my main scope from an Evostar 100ED DS Pro to something faster and better quality. I did think about a RASA 8 but that was too heavy for my HEQ5 and I can only afford to upgrade one thing at a time.

Anyway, long story short, FLO were doing a nice deal on a Founder Optics FOT106 triplet, which comes with a dedicated field flattener and has a FL of 686mm at f6. 

It arrived last week and has a really good build quality, comes with flight case & optical report. I also bought the threaded adaptor for the Field Flattener and the ZWO EAF adaptor for it as well.

So, now it's on the HEQ5 and the setup below weights in at 8kg, leaving 3kg spare capacity if I want to add a Losmandy dovetail instead of the supplied Vixen version. The main problem is that it'll be mid-August before it's dark enough up here to get First Light. 😭20240617_152532.jpg.56a3e43d3f3b7a88d2eb8fb0e3c16b7d.jpg  

Astroimaging on the west coast of Scotland!  Does pixinsight have a midge removal feature?

I'm in the same boat, over in Angus, still it only gets darker from here!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Astroimaging on the west coast of Scotland!  Does pixinsight have a midge removal feature?

I'm in the same boat, over in Angus, still it only gets darker from here!

By the time it's dark enough to image, most of the midges have gone, or have found the juicy tourists! It's also an advantage to have an obsy, I can roll the roof off, set it going and head back inside. :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Thanks so now I’ve owned the biggest optical refractor the 150 TOA and the Purest Small one the FOA60Q

@garryblueboy Oh wow you also own(ed) the 150 TOA too!? Amazing! 

14 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Gerrybow Wow! One day I will get a 150 TOA...one day! lol

They are fantastic but I’d say my Tec140 is as good and easy to handle unlike the 150 it’s a observatory based scope really not one to to keep putting out where the Tec is easy 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

They are fantastic but I’d say my Tec140 is as good and easy to handle unlike the 150 it’s a observatory based scope really not one to to keep putting out where the Tec is easy 

@garryblueboy Oh ok thanks for that, I will look up the TEC 140. I think with Takahashi it's like every astro-nerds dream 'scope. The Tak' 150 retails for circa £14000 UK ( circa $18000 'US ) an enormous sum of money, so maybe I really would be better off buying the TEC 140 for the reasons you outlined. 👍

Edited by wesdon1

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

@garryblueboy Oh ok thanks for that, I will look up the TEC 140. I think with Takahashi it's like every astro-nerds dream 'scope. The Tak' 150 retails for circa £14000 UK ( circa $18000 'US ) an enormous sum of money, so maybe I really would be better off buying the TEC 140 for the reasons you outlined. 👍

The TEC 140 are around 10k in uk and on a wait list second hand there a bit like hens teeth no body hardly wants to part with them you can pick a used Tak 150 circa £5-6k in good condition but portable it is not 

Edited by garryblueboy

9 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Mine was an XXXL t-shirt (not my size and not too small before anyone says).

Not astronomy related, but I opened a pair of walking boots yesterday and was surprised to find a pair of ankle height lightweight walking socks included as a 'free gift' and they also fitted!!.  Mind you it works, as it felt as though it was a 'little extra' that spoke well for the company, esp. as the boots were not pricey for what they were. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Lucky you with the SVBony free gift. Mine was an XXXL t-shirt (not my size and not too small before anyone says).

T-shirt is just about big enough for me. Baseball cap is a little small but I'll just pull it down harder. The Barlow looking thing is a mistake, or maybe free gift,? 

No intentions of doing visual but maybe I could use it somehow to image planets? Goes up to 5x dunno if f28 is fast enough lol

• Like 1

Just now, JOC said:

Not astronomy related, but I opened a pair of walking boots yesterday and was surprised to find a pair of ankle height lightweight walking socks included as a 'free gift' and they also fitted!!.  Mind you it works, as it felt as though it was a 'little extra' that spoke well for the company, esp. as the boots were not pricey for what they were. 

I even really appreciate flos may include cloud stickers. It's not nessecery, but nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JOC said:

Mind you are 'free gifts' really free or somewhere in the price are you (or someone else) paying for the supposed 'free' extra.

Yeah thanks for that. If something is too good to be true its probably for a reason :(

Not able to plug camera into test for a couple of hours, though I did read there is  -10% less dead pixels for each piece  of manufacturer (ahem) branded item of clothing worn when testing for the first time.

worked that way for my Ferraris ;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JOC said:

Mind you are 'free gifts' really free or somewhere in the price are you (or someone else) paying for the supposed 'free' extra.

Also (sorry) the stuff I got "free" is as follows: tsirt baseball cap, leather? Note book, 1-5x Barlow (I think) UV/it cut 1.25" filter (who knew they are tiny) filter drawer two trays, 3amp power supply.

Let's hope the camera is as other manufacturers. It looks very very nice, solid minimalistic. Sadly not brightly coloured so won't fit my paint scheme.

• Like 1

Two drawers! That's nice! 🙂

Finally you have your camera, but what about the dual-band filter? 

So, now we expect much better data from your sessions. Don't be impatient, spend on imaging as much time, as you can, even if it takes days, weeks, months. I means the multi-nights sessions. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

Two drawers! That's nice! 🙂

Finally you have your camera, but what about the dual-band filter? 

So, now we expect much better data from your sessions. Don't be impatient, spend on imaging as much time, as you can, even if it takes days, weeks, months. I means the multi-nights sessions. 

Good luck! 

I'm not complaining but, it's like buses, wait  ages then 4 turn up at once.  

Two clear nights on the run lol inspite of apps and UK weather. New camera, power cable splitter things, failing at m31 then saving it then realising I hadn't but after trying Microsoft ice realised mosaics are easy :). I reserve the right to completely change this opinion in a day or two.

No NB filter yet. Might go for the svbony one stuart1971 reviewed, but want some time broadband but with some ir. Also I want to do He (three I think) because it's mad some people are doing it.  Filter cost/availability/stupid idea aside:)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1