Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 8th July

Wanted to try the New camera. Was way to windy, so just kept trying to pause as it flew off screen lol. I am learning a lot about this out of focus seeing that keeps happening. There was no jet stream. totally still.

Unfortunately The image Was constantly defocusing. Like right out of focus. It started Really bad. with the wind and defocusing i didn't hold out much hope on a reasonable first shot with the new camera. But stubborn as i am As it got higher, The defocusing was happening somewhat Less. 

Enough to get some mediocre frames between the pausing and wind. If i could get good conditions, I can tell this is nothing compared to what i think i could get. I reckon this is about

40 50% of what i know is possible at my location. Still it was better than the other day. And i like this mono chip

Orion 245 Player one IR685 QHY 462MM 

Image was drizzle resized

Second image less cleaned up different process

462mm.png sg.png 80.png

462 AS.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 20

Just now, Kon said:

Excellent first light with the 462m. You are almost starting to get the cassini division all the way around.

This is what's frustrating. the conditions not allowing that kind of image. But its possible In UK skys. Different locations may be better than others. Would need very steady air to get it all the way around. But its doable in the UK . Just conditions 

• Like 1

Here is a small example of my theory to do with the de focusing effect happening a lot around the country. Their was no jet stream. This is essentially good seeing being destroyed by a different atmospheric effect, unrelated to the jet stream. I believe we are seeing warm dry pockets of air, Mixing with the cooler night air. When those pockets of different temperatures Collide. The image defocuses. Think of standing in the sea it feels cold. then as you walk around you feel a warm area hit your legs. I believe its a similar effect. What i haven't figured out. Is exactly what causes those pockets of different temperatures to manifest. But clearly long dry spells of sun are related. I wonder if the seeing will Improve on Jupiter around autumn. As the heat effect becomes less troublesome. Its a theory. Now to wait to see if it happens   

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Here is a small example of my theory to do with the de focusing effect happening a lot around the country. Their was no jet stream. This is essentially good seeing being destroyed by a different atmospheric effect, unrelated to the jet stream. I believe we are seeing warm dry pockets of air, Mixing with the cooler night air. When those pockets of different temperatures Collide. The image defocuses. Think of standing in the sea it feels cold. then as you walk around you feel a warm area hit your legs. I believe its a similar effect. What i haven't figured out. Is exactly what causes those pockets of different temperatures to manifest. But clearly long dry spells of sun are related. I wonder if the seeing will Improve on Jupiter around autumn. As the heat effect becomes less troublesome. Its a theory. Now to wait to see if it happens   

02_38_14_F01085-01500_pipp.avi

That looks awful. I see what you mean; exceptionally brief moment of good seeing with really sharp Cassini division that disappears in no time. I agree it does not look like jestream as you do not have the boiling effect. It reminds me of the sessions last year, same effect when we had the hot summer months. Let's hope it stabilises. This year the jetstream seems to have missed us.

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Tried Jupiter in bright daylight. Couldn't get a lot of frames the wind picked up and it was jumping around all over the place spent more time pausing then capturing. 

I really like it, nice details. Is that with the new mono? 

1 hour ago, Kon said:

That looks awful. I see what you mean; exceptionally brief moment of good seeing with really sharp Cassini division that disappears in no time. I agree it does not look like jestream as you do not have the boiling effect. It reminds me of the sessions last year, same effect when we had the hot summer months. Let's hope it stabilises. This year the jetstream seems to have missed us.

It got a bit more stable as it got higher, i can imagine stable and no wind to get a much better result its encouraging. Onwards and upwards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I really like it, nice details. Is that with the new mono? 

Yes 462. Soon i will look back on these Jupiters and laugh. But i enjoy the bad, with the good. prefer the good though. wont be long a cracker is coming soon.

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

Those look very good considering the conditions you describe Neil. Lots of detail on Jupiter already.

Cheers Stuart hoping i can get one with the Cassini all the way around. Not sure if 245mm is big enough. Wont be easy with Stella. But worth trying.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

You kids are getting too spoiled!

I would be walking around going "yep, I took that" with either of those images!

Part of the thrill is pushing what limits we set ourselves can achieve. Not in a arrogant way. But in a hopeful way. The cameras now do spoil us though agreed 

Cheers

Edited by neil phillips

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, si@nite said:

Hi Neil very respectable images this early on considering less than ideal conditions too, see your using a new camera will be intresting to see how it performs!

Hi Simon. Thanks. Good to see you. Yes the mono version of the 462c A great all round camera both in the UV and especially IR. its another one of those tools that can enhance what we are trying to do. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2023 at 19:04, Pete Presland said:

I am sure there will be better conditions to come Neil,  maybe some decent high pressure will help make things a little bit more stable.

Hi Pete yes. i need to start watching the weather its been awful, so have taken a break. But will get going soon i hope 

Cheers 

• Like 1