Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar X and V now - 7pm 25th June 2023

Stu

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Steve Ward is on the thread, so here are the correctly oriented versions 😉

A610B52E-F16A-4947-9095-D8380F1BFDEE.jpeg

BBBB5091-6B9D-4810-B520-04CF0CEEDBF8.jpeg

I was tempted to mention it ...  I just rattled off a few handheld frames for the hell of it , I'm a sucker for her against a pale blue sky .

Didn't realise it was "X" time , I'll have to have a quick stack and see if the 150-600 picked it up .... :happy7:

• Haha 1

I didn't see this thread earlier but was out viewing at about 8pm and, never having seen the X before, there it was clear, and obvious even though I wasn't looking for it at all. Must be all about the timing and I got lucky this evening. I have seen other people's photos but I had not realised it was quite so distinctive visually.

• Like 2

Cheers for posting this.  Heard the guys on Actual Astronomy talk about the lunar X a lot but always put it on the 'to do' list.  Didn't realise it was quite as large as that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Cheers for posting this.  Heard the guys on Actual Astronomy talk about the lunar X a lot but always put it on the 'to do' list.  Didn't realise it was quite as large as that.

Did you manage to see them?

35 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I never knew this lunar X even existed. I’ll definitely be looking for it the next lunar session with my 12” dob.

This link discusses when you can see it, it’s not every cycle and only at its best for around three or four hours.

https://marysastronomyblogs.blogspot.com/2023/01/popular-clair-obscur-effects-times-for.html?m=1

IMG_9472.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saw this yesterday, again as others have mentioned always wanted to look but had no idea where to look. Just stumbled across it. Also managed to locate the area of the Apollo 15 landing site thanks to the duplex atlas. 

• Like 1

Never seen the "L" before, will have to look out for that.

Just some info on the X and V.

The X is situated in the area next to the western ridge of the crater Blanchinus and the V in the area around the crater Ukert. Observing these areas under different illumination shows no trace of these "Tricks of the light".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Franklin said:

..... Observing these areas under different illumination shows no trace of these "Tricks of the light".

Rather like the infamous "face" on mars ?

• Like 1