Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

40mm/B1200 Tilt tuning or 50mm/B600 pressure tunning ?

soulearth

Hi,
I want to buy a lunt but I hesitate on two model. I am a beginner and do not master the technologies specific to solar observation.
For about the same price, I hesitate between the Lunt 40 B1200 model and the Lunt 50 B600 model.
The main objective is to make visual observations at the beginning but I will certainly also make photos. I already have an astro camera.
I have already tried a Lunt 40 B600 but found it to be poorly contrasted and with an observation position difficult to find and unpleasant due to the shadows that appear as soon as you move a little.
I was also advised against pressure tuning as it would be less reliable due to leakage issues.

What do you recommend ?

Thank you
Best regards,

I have the 50mm, great little scope. The only big thing letting it down is the helical focuser. You will want to upgrade to a FeatherTouch/MoonLite if planning to image. I did, and it is a night and day difference when it comes to user enjoyment! I have had no problems with the PT leaking. If you do get a problem, it is usually down to worn O-rings and/or lack of grease. Both are easy to fix.

Edited by Chris-h
  • Like 1

I have the 40 and love it.

The instant use and ease of use are the making of this scope for me. 
I am a visual observer.

The helical focuser is the scopes weakness, but once used to it things settle down.

I do admit to having the FT focuser on order though.

Whichever way you jump, go for it, the Suns going nuts at the minute and now is the best time to go for it.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

I have the 40 and love it.

The instant use and ease of use are the making of this scope for me. 
I am a visual observer.

The helical focuser is the scopes weakness, but once used to it things settle down.

I do admit to having the FT focuser on order though.

Whichever way you jump, go for it, the Suns going nuts at the minute and now is the best time to go for it.

I have the FT on order for my 50 as well. The helical is just too tight for my liking, I haven't bothered to see if there was some way of loosening it off, I just spent the $500 C. I am Crayford guy all the way !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive a pressure tuned ls50.  It's great - a beaut of a scope 😎

I have a tilt tuned front etalon to double stack it.  The pressure tuning is my main control vs the tilt tuning of the front etalon.  So based on that id whole heartedly recommend pressure tuning, and the extra 56% light with 50 mm aperture.

Btw, after ~5+ years, zero issues with pressure tuning: it's a very robust beautifully engineered approach.

I did replace the helical focusser- with a moonlight. Its a worthwhile investment, but the helical focusser is usable.

Edited by niallk

There’s no reason to avoid pressure tuning. In general the system works very well. There are some cases where the internal o-rings have needed replacing, but out of thousands of pressure tuned scopes out there, it’s a pretty robust system - definitely should not put you off buying a particular model.

6 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

There’s no reason to avoid pressure tuning. In general the system works very well. There are some cases where the internal o-rings have needed replacing, but out of thousands of pressure tuned scopes out there, it’s a pretty robust system - definitely should not put you off buying a particular model.

Many times the ring just needs a slight relubing. It would take a lot over a long period of time to wear out a neoprene O ring.

Edited by LDW1

I have had good results with both tuning systems.  The only criticism I have of the pressure tuning is the amount of effort needed to turn the adjustment barrel compared to the light finger touch of the tilt wheel.       🙂

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I have had good results with both tuning systems.  The only criticism I have of the pressure tuning is the amount of effort needed to turn the adjustment barrel compared to the light finger touch of the tilt wheel.       🙂

That’s fair. Both the pressure tuned scopes I had only came on band at the end of the piston travel, so required quite a lot of force - and that can be an issue with light mounts. But otherwise they were fine.

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

That’s fair. Both the pressure tuned scopes I had only came on band at the end of the piston travel, so required quite a lot of force - and that can be an issue with light mounts. But otherwise they were fine.

My tuner on my 50LS is turned almost all the way in, I use my scope on a SW Helio solar mount, never a problem with anything incl. tracking. What issue might you find on a light mount because of the pressure tuner ? What does a lot of force mean ?

The pressure tuner on the Lunt50 that I had use of needed both hands to adjust the pressure, one to hold the scope steady and the other to turn the piston.  If not, the effort to turn it moved the scope off target.    🙂

6 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The pressure tuner on the Lunt50 that I had use of needed both hands to adjust the pressure, one to hold the scope steady and the other to turn the piston.  If not, the effort to turn it moved the scope off target.    🙂

May I ask what mount / tripod ?

3 hours ago, Rusted said:

I admit I was shocked by the effort needed to tune on my 60MT PT.
Logic suggests adding a lever to increase the applied torque.

May I ask what mount / tripod are you using ?

17 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Maybe you should back the tuner all the way out to relieve the pressure and then turn it back in ? I do that occasionally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rusted said:

I admit I was shocked by the effort needed to tune on my 60MT PT.
Logic suggests adding a lever to increase the applied torque.

Maybe its time for a touch of lube on your O rings, they are sticking / binding a bit.

I have a self built H-alpha telescope: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.

Mounted on a massive home made equatorial on a 14' high pyramidal pier in a two story, entirely self-built, 10' observatory dome.

Images of my set-up in my profile if you are interested.

My pressure tuned Lunt 60MT etalon seems to be in perfect order.
It has been reset, by unscrewing, repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

I have a self built H-alpha telescope: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.

Mounted on a massive home made equatorial on a 14' high pyramidal pier in a two story, entirely self-built, 10' observatory dome.

Images of my set-up in my profile if you are interested.

My pressure tuned Lunt 60MT etalon seems to be in perfect order.
It has been reset, by unscrewing, repeatedly.

So what is the ............ ?  Adding a lever ??

Edited by LDW1

3 hours ago, LDW1 said:

May I ask what mount / tripod ?

It was the Skywatcher solar mount, I didn't notice what tripod, the LS50 was not mine.  The issue was managed by using both hands, I'm not advocating one system over the other but given the choice I would prefer tilt tuning.    🙂

22 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

It was the Skywatcher solar mount, I didn't notice what tripod, the LS50 was not mine.  The issue was managed by using both hands, I'm not advocating one system over the other but given the choice I would prefer tilt tuning.    🙂

As I mentioned no problem with my SW Helio solar mount at all. I have had both tilt and pressure and they both have performed excellent. As I also mentioned, the helical focuser is not my cup of tea thats why I am waiting for a crayford to arrive, hopefully asap.

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

So what is the ............ ?  Adding a lever ??

Where a radius is too small to allow effortless turning then adding a force at a greater radius reduces the force required.
A cap over the pressure tuning drum could have a lever much like a pencil attached to make a capstan. Just an idea.

Edited by Rusted

28 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Where a radius is too small to allow effortless turning then adding a force at a greater radius reduces the force required.
A cap over the pressure tuning drum could have a lever much like a pencil attached to make a capstan. Just an idea.

Really !  Maybe it was designed with resistance, to be non effortless ? Interesting indeed. I think if they weren't resistant you couldn't fine tune it into the best focus point it could be just a slight back and forth quite often, it happens with a scope focuser lots of times. The diameter of the tuner is pretty substantial to grasp, just apply a bit more muscle, lol !

Edited by LDW1

8 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Really !  Maybe it was designed with resistance, to be non effortless ? Interesting indeed. I think if they weren't resistant you couldn't fine tune it into the best focus point it could be just a slight back and forth quite often, it happens with a scope focuser lots of times. The diameter of the tuner is pretty substantial to grasp, just apply a bit more muscle, lol !

I really must remember to tighten down my Feathertouch focusers. To achieve that dreamy, muscle swelling resistance to all movement.
How else will I ever achieve best focus? Can you recommend an exercise regime to ensure adequate finger strength for this task? 😏

6 hours ago, Rusted said:

I really must remember to tighten down my Feathertouch focusers. To achieve that dreamy, muscle swelling resistance to all movement.
How else will I ever achieve best focus? Can you recommend an exercise regime to ensure adequate finger strength for this task? 😏

Think about it I am talking the focus point of the pressure tuner not the scope focuser, sorry I wasn't more clear about it but we were talking the tuner ! Right ?  As to an excercise try squeezing a rubber ball while viewing, lol.

Edited by LDW1
  • Haha 1