Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

In common with most astronomers I certainly AM cash-limited and have to weigh up my purchases carefully. Unfortunately I won't be getting a Dwarf soon. However that doesn't mean I'm not very interested in what the Dwarf will eventually do with the right software support (which seems to be coming, if slowly).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Elp said:

From what I gather the dwarf has one critical advantage, you can adapt and use it in EQ mode which will allow longer per sub exposures and less likelihood of star trailing.

That is an interesting point, I presume from that, exposure time can also be changed?  Within the eeva forum, people use alt az mounts and obtain superb results so unless you intend to process the pictures, is the eq option actually required? Likewise there was a discussion where total exposure time was the critical point rather than length of individual exposures? I am not knocking the dwarf at all, I am just trying to understand what would be required against the simple plonk it down and start taking pictures.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Elp said:

From what I gather the dwarf has one critical advantage, you can adapt and use it in EQ mode which will allow longer per sub exposures and less likelihood of star trailing.

Good point to add to my comparative list ! thanks.

Thinks : even without adjusting the exp time it will eliminate (or considerably reduce, depending on polar align accuracy!) field rotation thus enabling more of (most of) the frame to be kept after stacking without the need for aggressive crop ?

I am still in the camp of  "I want one but dont know which" :)

• Like 1

The difference from experience doing AP is you saturate the sensor pixels more per sub. Granted it's not going to change the speed of acquisition as you say the total time is what matters. By reducing the number of images taken you also reduce the read noise, won't matter for short runs but if the user wishes to spend hours on a target which is possible with either scope, the noise difference will be evident. Having the scope move equatorially may also reduce the likelihood of star trails if the tracking motor is sufficient as it's rotating in one vector, with alt az it's moving in both X and Y, so the "lost" imaging time the SS suffers may be retained more with the Dwarf in EQ mode.

Either scope is an excellent point of entry, had they been around before I started I'd definitely would have bought one. With either they're in demand ATM so if you bought one and didn't like it for whatever reason you can easily sell it on and recoup most of the outlay.

17 minutes ago, Elp said:

Either scope is an excellent point of entry, had they been around before I started I'd definitely would have bought one. With either they're in demand ATM so if you bought one and didn't like it for whatever reason you can easily sell it on and recoup most of the outlay.

Not so much as needing a point of entry as needing the ability to make a decision, at which I am hopelessly inadequate in all walks of life lol!
Good point about resale,  but , ,  more decisions, decisions :) :) 

No, after 70odd years of visual astro with some fun with cameras on tripods it is now time to consider more quickly and better, catching breaks in the weather without running in and out with my 6, 9 and 12 inch scopes !

23 minutes ago, Elp said:

Ooops , sorry for multi- post, 'tinternet went down on me :( 

Edited by MalcolmP

This thread is not simply an advert for the Seestar but is in the discussion area.  Those that have not got one, or have yet made up their mind, may want to see honest opinions and results - even if the opinions are to buy another product.

Not everyone can afford to buy both, though some can and would if they managed to cater for different usages. Or even if they just want to do a personal compare. That's their choice.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

Not so much as needing a point of entry as needing the ability to make a decision, at which I am hopelessly inadequate in all walks of life lol!

No, after 70odd years of visual astro with some fun with cameras on tripods it is now time to consider more quickly and better, catching breaks in the weather without running in and out with my 6, 9 and 12 inch scopes !

You are on the right track, I am 75 yrs. old and my thoughts coincide with your post. Either smart scope is a great compliment to lugging around a telescope, its a new challenge, it can create excitement ! You will know the time to jump in and you won't regret it.

Edited by LDW1

4 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

Just remember ' you only live once ', lol !

• Like 1

10 more sets of 2" filter holder and bahtinov mask arrived. This time in resin print (nice finish). As there are 10 sets - I figured it'd be less hassle to sell them on ebay as that will automate payments and postage.

So here's the link if you want a set:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126143288335

9.99 inc postage and packaging. UK only.

atb

20231018_142732.jpg

20231018_142740.jpg

20231018_142807.jpg

20231018_142855.jpg

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, powerlord said:

10 more sets of 2" filter holder and bahtinov mask arrived. This time in resin print (nice finish). As there are 10 sets - I figured it'd be less hassle to sell them on ebay as that will automate payments and postage.

So here's the link if you want a set:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126143288335

9.99 inc postage and packaging. UK only.

atb

20231018_142732.jpg

20231018_142740.jpg

20231018_142807.jpg

20231018_142855.jpg

Thats a nice filter holder, just less time consuming and simple than the one I just bought. Does it fit snug enough ?  I shouldn't ask here but I will, would you ship to Canada ? I don't care the cost !

Edited by LDW1

Can any share there images before processing them.

I have a D2 and only process the images on my phone through snapseed , but would love a seestar. 

Crescent nebula. 

100 x 15 subs.

70 gain.

Zwo Duo-Band filter

1694564673411-01-02-01.thumb.jpeg.6ddc5b2fddaa0d186cc3b49f6c816c25.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave scutt said:

Can any share there images before processing them

There are a number within this thread plus some more in the eeva report section. As a direct comparison on the crescent nebula, powerlord has a couple of pictures on page 22 and 24 of this thread. All the best. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, M40 said:

There are a number within this thread plus some more in the eeva report section. As a direct comparison on the crescent nebula, powerlord has a couple of pictures on page 22 and 24 of this thread. All the best. 

here's the main one:

crescent-lp.30mins.jpg.3db448662f25bd80002c6766a6919108.jpg.6becfb75fc44b257715ae8a861fb09ee.jpg

That's 30 mins. Be aware that was processed off camera though (i.e. I stacked it, and used Siril, affinity photo, etc). I didn't post the live stack image I'm afraid. But anyway, that give you an idea what you can get in 30 mins - which is quite impressive imho. Here's the live stacks - I stopped and started a few times and didn't continue the stack I don't think at least on some occasions - I'm afraid the naming doesn't allow you to see the start stack time so impossible to tell for sure, so these fits are the live stacks of just a fraction of that time. That's one of the benefits of stacking off camera, you can save em up over multiple sessions on the night or different nights.

anyway, here's 4 live stack fits as they came off the S50

Stacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-195128.fitStacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-204513.fitStacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-205248.fitStacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-210721.fit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, powerlord said:

here's the main one:

crescent-lp.30mins.jpg.3db448662f25bd80002c6766a6919108.jpg.6becfb75fc44b257715ae8a861fb09ee.jpg

That's 30 mins. Be aware that was processed off camera though (i.e. I stacked it, and used Siril, affinity photo, etc). I didn't post the live stack image I'm afraid. But anyway, that give you an idea what you can get in 30 mins - which is quite impressive imho. Here's the live stacks - I stopped and started a few times and didn't continue the stack I don't think at least on some occasions - I'm afraid the naming doesn't allow you to see the start stack time so impossible to tell for sure, so these fits are the live stacks of just a fraction of that time. That's one of the benefits of stacking off camera, you can save em up over multiple sessions on the night or different nights.

anyway, here's 4 live stack fits as they came off the S50

Stacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-195128.fit 11.87 MB · 0 downloads Stacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-204513.fit 11.87 MB · 0 downloads Stacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-205248.fit 11.87 MB · 0 downloads Stacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-210721.fit 11.87 MB · 0 downloads

Can't seem to open those files

Just now, powerlord said:

you'll need something that can open fits files. on mac - quickfits. on windows - Siril ? then set it to auto stretch. hold on, give me a mo and Ill do it and post the jpgs

stu

Thanks.

I'm on my mobile no laptop , that's why I don't do much processing.