Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The last year I have ben using the Siril software to pre processing my astrophotos. It replace somewhat AstroImageJ and Fitswork I used a lot earlier. Siril is based on Iris which I used 20 years ago, very advanced at that time. Siril is today a 32-bit processing software and in these days an updated version 1.2.0 beta 2 is out. My tutorial isn't very deep and I'm still learning. There are already a good homepage with examples how to use Siril, my page is more how I personally use it.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-siril/01-tutorial-siril.html

What I like is the color calibration and the new function to desaturate overexposed stars. Much to learn until it work perfect.

For post processing I use the Gimp software which also is a 32-bit software and very advanced.

Both Siril and Gimp are free to download.

/Lars

• Like 1

Nice- will have a thorough read when i have time but I love how Siril keep adding new stuff to play with- I didn’t know they had star tools so looking forward to trying those features out- like desaturating stars

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes it's very interesting. I added two more pages, more to analyze how well it flat calibrate and if there is any difference if I replace my MasterDarks with a constant. In this case I can't see any difference, maybe because a Bortle Class 4 environment isn't good enough and mask the problem. In that case I also used Fitswork to analyze the result.

Look at page 4 and 5:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-siril/01-tutorial-siril.html

/Lars

• Like 1