SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL Challenge - black nebulosity

This is a tricky one and may take you out of your comfort zone!  Black nebulosity is a somewhat neglected and misunderstood phenomenon.  It is not to be confused with the much more familiar "dark nebulosity".   Here is a bit of history,.   In the 1820s Arthur Sidebotham was an engineer working in the  city of Sheffield's booming metal industry.  His interest in astronomy was aroused when he was asked to fabricate a batch of metal tubes for high quality achromatic telescopes.  Following this project he acquired a telescope for himself and started to investigate the night skies of industrial Sheffield.  He became aware of the phenomonen which he described as "Black nebulous areas" .  He reported his findings to the Royal Astronomical Society in London but they had little time for the musings of a provincial metal worker.  Fortunaltely, others found inspiration from his detailed catalogues of black nebulosity and although still a niche area of astronomical observation  many astronomers are fascinated by this subtle and elusive phenomenon.

So, here is your challenge.  Can you  capture this black nebulosity so beloved of Arthur Sidebotham?  It is well worth a try!

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Haha 5

I am going to agree you about my comfort zone and may stay away from this one. 

I have Googled variations of black nebulosity and receive results for dark nebulosity and carrots.    

If I try Arthur Sidebotham I receive family tree options. 

A variation of Arthur Sidebotham and black nebula(osity) brings up some random stuff so I am genuinely perplexed already……unless it is a DC comic character. 

2 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Here’s my entry. Really captured that black nebulosity well there ‘eh!

Took a lot of time processing it well too! Well pleased with the results! :) 

I think your focus might be a bit off

• Haha 3

Some excellent contributions.  If Arthur ever lurks on SGL from his celestial foundry I am sure he will have a big smile on his face.

Sadly I think it is probably time to close the challenge now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• MartinB unpinned this topic